1. The Choosing Ceremony

╔═══════════════╗
Chapter one
╚═══════════════╝

"Every decision is liberating, even if it leads to disaster. Otherwise, why do so many people walk upright and with open eyes into their misfortune?"

- Elias Canetti

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

She could hear the caramelised humming of her mother singing in the kitchen below her

She could hear the caramelised humming of her mother singing in the kitchen below her. It was a beautiful tune; one she had become accustomed to hearing every morning for the past 16 years. The words were muffled but the melody chimed through her mind effortlessly, hugging her senses like an old friend. It was warm and welcoming, yet a pit of dread began to fester in her lower stomach. The events of the day had not yet settled upon her until she had entered the living area of her small but modest home. The walls were wooden, lined with large beams that doubled as space-efficient shelving, that held small ceramic vases that held an array of plants and herbs. Her home, like many others in her faction, was adorned with greenery. Vines hung from ceiling tops, windows were accentuated with honeysuckles and kitchens were filled with herbs of many, each with its own purpose. She was rather knowledgeable about each and every plant within her faction and was praised for her abilities with herbal medicine and farming.

  For many years she had worked alongside her two brothers, Thackery and Jonah, in the fields beyond the wall that gated their city. She was assigned to gathering edible greens and prepping them for transportation so they could be safely distributed to the other factions. There were five factions in total, with the exception of the factionless, and each had their own ideals and skill set. Abnegation was for the givers. Those in society who wanted to give to others. They value the needs of others above the needs of oneself. The selfless. Erudite was for the intelligent. A faction for those who favoured knowledge and power over anything else. The geniuses. Dauntless was for the brave and bold hearted members of society. They are fearless and courageous and are in charge of keeping the city safe. The protectors.

Candor is for the honest. A place for those who seek out the truth in all they say and do. They are among the many leaders of the law. The virtuous. Amity was for the kind. For those who value peace and harmony above all else. They are a happy people and are willing to serve much like Abnegation. However, this was not the case for Adelaide Bingley. She was much the opposite of what her faction valued. Whilst she was kind, Adelaide did not know peace, nor did she value the need to be constantly happy. She believed in human nature, in the process of feeling emotions as they come and using them to express one's inner thoughts and feelings. She was a challenger, a force to be reckoned with, a danger.

From a young age she had been put on peaceful probation, a law set in place to ensure both her safety and the safety of other Amity members. She was monitored daily and was injected with the Peace Serum if her behaviour was deemed anything less than kind and collected. It was a ritual in which she despised, one that had turned her against her own faction. A ritual that had inspired her decision to choose a new faction later that day at the Choosing Ceremony.