Chapter 6 The beginning of the end

"Mmm, what? Damien are you there?"  I said tiredly with my face buried in my pillow, as usual, I always woke up with my face in the pillows. There was no response. I put my hand on what felt like a chest, feeling the sensation of warm skin on my hand. Then a large hand grasped mine.- "You know what? It's been a while since we just relaxed; you could definitely use it, especially after last night."  He was right, my whole body ached like I went toe to toe with a wrestler. "Have things been alright here? Last night was great but um...You basically knocked us both out."  I only remembered a bit of last night, which was strange because we didn't drink at all. I turned my head around to face him, he looked towards me expecting an answer.- "I barely remember anything at all. I swear I'm not on any drugs, it's just the last few days it feels like something has been messing with my head." 

Damien sat up, groaning sorely as he raised himself.- "It might just be stress from work, You're probably just pent up, it's happened to me occasionally."  Damien and I don't talk too often about our feelings, it would be nice if it wasn't over something that's been making me feel like I'm losing my grasp on reality. I'm just glad he's back, now he can help pay the bills again. I had almost forgotten that I had work today, we had a quick shower together, the first time in almost two months. Then headed off to work afterward. The traffic was unusually slow even for Seattle, what was going on? I turned on the radio to see what was going on, after listening for a few minutes it turned out there was a military convoy hogging up the roads and staling traffic. It took twenty or so minutes for traffic to clear up, shit, I was going to be late. I arrived at 8:34 AM and I had to hurry inside.- "Good morning Alice, you're one of the first ones here." There was no way I got here before almost everyone, other than Ricky.- "Who else is here?" He stopped to think for a bit, Ricky was still new so he was still getting to know everyone here.- "Dwight of course oh and Tom, also Lilith." It's strange, I used to not mind Lilith too much. But now the mention of her name just makes me hate her,  it just reignites my anxiety about whether or not I'll be able to serve on the Umbra. I got my items scanned, wished Ricky a good morning then took the elevator up to the offices. The feeling in my stomach dissipated a bit as I ascended in the elevator, then came rushing back as the elevator stopped and the door opened. I stepped out and made my way through the cubicles. I could hear my footsteps for once it was so eerily quiet, that it almost felt as if the place was abandoned.  When I got to my office and signed in, a message popped up on my computer. It was a message from Dwight.

From Dwight Scott
To Alice Sarris
4/3/2734              

Good morning Alice, while I and A.A.S.A reviewed our interview. I wish to congratulate you on your acceptance aboard the U.S.S.A. Umbra. Here is the date and location where you are to board, do us all proud here at Hector & Dwight Research & anthropology Ltd. 4/9/2734

"Oh my god, what? No way, I did it." I almost couldn't believe it, I got accepted. But I couldn't be the only employee who got accepted, could I? People eventually started to arrive after a few minutes. I had no idea what we were supposed to do today, we had finished researching and cataloging everything from our last excavation in an old bombed-out part of Seattle from the great war near St. James cathedral. I went around the office floor and saw a few sad faces, I guess a lot of people didn't make the cut. I asked around as to what was going on, it seems as though everyone was as ignorant as I was. At the other end of the office was Lilith, walking proudly my way. She stopped in front of me, with a confused look on her face. "Hey Alice, um what's going on?"  She asked, looking confused.- "I'm really not sure myself, I was hoping Dwight would've told you something."- "Fucken great, nobody seems to know a damn thing around here."  There was the sound of a wooden door creaking and heavy footsteps. Dwight came walking our way, he seemed happy, you could see the big smirk on his face.- "Alright everyone, you're probably all wondering what's going on. Well, it's good news, so you can all breathe a sigh of relief." Dwight loved to give speeches to his employees, probably just loves the sound of his own voice. "Several of our employees have been chosen to serve aboard the Umbra, unfortunately only three of you will get to go, you all know who you are."  I looked over at Lilith, she gave me a slightly surprised look mixed with possible respect? It's difficult to tell with her. Dwight just went on about what our next project was, there was another part of the old Seattle underground we were going to excavate.