Chapter 14 Last Salvation

What just happened? I couldn't believe it, in the span of a few minutes not only did we lose Lola, but we also lost Metis, our one guiding light through this. I felt like giving up and waiting to die somewhere. I looked over again to Tyson, refusing to let go of Lola, he must've really cared for her. Lilith and I were huddling for warmth, The room was as eerily quiet as It was cold. Tobey for once looked like he didn't know what to do, and neither did I. I held the handgun in my hands, wondering what I could've done differently, I shot that thing so many times and it barely even so much as fazed it. Lola gave me this gun and I couldn't save her with it. I tossed the gun on the floor, the thud echoing through the room. They both looked at me probably wondering what I was doing. "It's empty."  Damien would probably think I'm pathetic for giving up like this, Lola too.

Tyson stood up to face us.  -"Are you all ready to head out or are just going to give up?"  He asked us angrily, I could hear him trying to keep his composure. Tobey looked like he had about as much motivation as I did, but Tyson was right, we couldn't just give up now. I could hear heavy footsteps come from outside the room, what else was coming our way? Tyson and Tobey aimed at the door, waiting for whoever it was to come inside. A green armored figure walked inside and stood there, It was another marine. He held up his weapon when he saw two others aiming their weapons at him.- "Whoa hey, I heard gunfire and screeching, I came to check on what was happening."  He looked over at Lola's body where Tyson was standing. "Oh...how did she?" Tyson lowered his rifle.- "She gave her life fighting that thing in there, we also lost the A.I. But we do have a way off the Umbra now. The Ebony is still docked in cargo bay 1, we just have to find a way to get there as quickly and safely as possible."

"What is your name and rank soldier?"  Tyson asked the new marine.- "Private first class William Helm sir. I came from Deck 29, my squad and I were in the botanical gardens when all this chaos happened, god it was awful."  Tyson stepped over towards the private. - "We could use all the help we can get William, will you come with us?"  Tyson extended his hand to greet Helm. - "Well it certainly beats creeping the halls by myself with those things everywhere. I'd be more than happy to join you all, so where are we going?"  Tyson gave Helm a firm yet friendly pat on the shoulder. - "I'm glad to hear that."  Tyson slowly lumbered over towards the exit. "Let's get going, the cold is starting to bother me and we still have a ship to catch."  Tobey followed ahead. I helped Lilith up from the cold floor, she was silent and shaking, with only me to keep her warm. Helm followed behind us. Goodbye Metis, thank you for saving us.

Our trek through the dead halls of the ship was a mostly quiet one, even Tobey hardly spoke a word, maybe I should try to break the silence. "So William was it? What happened to your squad?"  In hindsight that probably wasn't the best question to ask. - "Well like I said, we were in the gardens when people started getting sick and turning into those things. We tried saving who we could but everyone either died or turned into zombies, even my squad couldn't escape that."  Talking about it was clearly difficult for him,  I think most people would've given up seeing their whole squad and all of those people killed like that. - "I'm sorry about your squad, I'm sure they were good people."  He looked over towards me. - "Thank you and yeah, they were. They kept those monsters from contaminating the air, they died heroes." 

Tobey stopped and turned around.-"So how'd you survive then? why are you the only one who didn't die or turn?"  Oh no, why did he ask him that? While I haven't known Tobey for very long, It seemed very out of character for him to say something like that. - "What exactly are you trying to say?" - "I don't know it just seems kind of odd that out of everyone in your squad, you were the only one who made it out just fine, just an observation.."  Helm suddenly stood in place, while I couldn't see his face, I could tell what Tobey said had upset him a lot. - "What the hell's your problem man? Did I say or do something to deserve that?"  Tobey awkwardly turned to face him, I don't think he was used to this kind of confrontation. "Maybe if you were a little quicker on the trigger and timing, your squad and Lola would still be alive right now." - "Cut the chatter you two, let's get a move on." Tyson said annoyed. Helm shook his head and continued walking.