Chapter 6

Everyone has had a moment in their life when they feel untouchable; when everyone around them turns and stares, but in a good way. When the world stops spinning, all your troubles melt away, and you feel invincible. You’re superwoman- you can scale any building, beat the heck out of any villain; you’re unstoppable, unsinkable. For once in my life I feel beautiful and powerful, the cool June air blowing my hair out of my face and out behind me in a curtain of gold. Cliff hasn’t stopped looking at me the entire time I’ve been walking toward him, which hasn’t been long, but to me it feels like an eternity. He drops his cigarette, stomping it out on the pavement.

     “Raina,” he breathes as I finally reach him, shifting my weight to one leg.

     “Hey,” I say, and immediately hate myself for not saying something other than ‘hey’. ‘Hey’? Really?

     “You look great, Raina,” Cliff says, and I smile wide. Then I remember that I have a chipped tooth and snap my mouth shut, blushing heavily. “Come on inside, we’re warming up.”

     The inside of The Raven Coffee House is dark and damp and old; dozens of round wooden tables are arranged across the floor, with four rickety chairs each. On the right side of the room is a maroon colored bar that reeks of alcohol; Cliff must have seen the look of disgust on my face, because he says,

     “Don’t worry. This place doesn’t turn into a bar until ten. Our set ends at eight thirty.” I nod at him, breathing a sigh of relief and heading for the stage. As I walk, I notice each member of the band is there that was on the flyer. If the lead singer bailed out, why is everyone accounted for? I climb the three steps that lead to the stage. I stand there for a moment, waiting for someone to say something, but no one does.

     “Blimey, how long has she been standin’ there?” says a husky voice, and I grin sheepishly when one of the identical looking boys meets eyes with me. His sandy hair is kinky and looks tangled. I have the feeling he brushes it a lot, but it never stays in order. The other finally looks up at me, as well, and he laughs a hearty, bellowing laugh.

     “What a looker,” he croons, and I sense my face go hot. I feel a hand on my shoulder, and know it is Cliff.

     “Alright, alright,” he says. “This is our new lead singer.” Now the mousy haired violin player looks up, her gigantic eyes looking me over.

     “That’s her?” she says, and her voice is quiet and small. I look at the floor.

     “Yeah, it is.” I’m suddenly aware that everyone is staring angrily at Cliff. Great, I think, they hate me already.

     “Why don’t you go get yourself a drink,” one of the twins says, or at least I think they’re twins. “This ain’t your fault. We’ll take care o’ it.” I give him a miffed look.

     “Why?” I ask, and he looks at me disconcertedly.

      “Aye, just go and be on yer way.” This time is was the other twin, who winks at me. I look at Cliff, who seems deflated. Deciding whatever is going on isn’t my business, I descend the stage steps and make my way over to the bar.

     “Dr. Pepper,” I say, and the bartender, a bald man with a round belly, looks up at me.

     “Did ya say somethin’?” he asks, and I blush.

     “I want a Dr. Pepper, or a Coca Cola, or whatever you have that’s not alcohol,” I ask, and he laughs.

     “We have Dr. Pepper, hun. I just didn’t hear ya, yer so quiet.” I blush, smiling at him. He takes a plain looking glass from where it hangs above him, turning and filling it with soda from the soft drink dispenser to his left. He slides it across the slick counter, and I barely catch it- it almost spills all over me. Correction, it does spill on my sleeve, I just don’t notice it until he starts laughing.