Chapter 23

I took a seat on the chair beside her bed. "Hey" I managed to say before tears came flowing down. "I missed you. A lot" I continued. "I came back for you as I promised I would. But" I felt my heart sink again. "But you are leaving me," I said to her. "I told you to move on and I meant falling in love with another person not moving on from life itself. You have no idea how hard it was for me for the past 2 years. Not because I was in prison but because I wasn't able to see you or hold you or know if you were ok. I didn't know if you ate and slept properly. I didn't know how you were feeling. And every time I started missing you I would look back at our memories. How we met and how we grew closer. That one time you challenged me in an ice cream eating contest and I had the biggest brain freeze ever. I remember how much it hurt but now seeing you like this. It hurts more." I said as I held her hand. "Those memories got me through these 2 years. The thought of seeing you again and holding you again and talking to you got me through these years" I rubbed soothing circles on the back of her arms because it became a habit whenever I wanted to calm her down. 

"We planned on running away remember? And you said that we should live in a big house and we planned to have our very first pet dog. And we would buy him as a puppy so we could watch him grow up." I remember having this talk with her. "You said you would finally get to sleep for a long time and then I told you that I would bring you breakfast in bed each morning. that was a fantasy I wanted to turn into reality. We were so close to making it into our reality." I said planting a soft kiss on the back of her hand. "I remember you told me that I would get over you one day and find someone prettier and smarter and when I said I won't because I already have you. I meant it with my whole heart. I love you so very much and I wish that  I told you that night. Told you that I was going abroad. Then we wouldn't be here. Am sorry love. I made a mistake. And I will live with it my whole life." I said in regret. "But remember that I love you," 

The door opened and the doctor came in. "It's time," He said in a sad tone. "Have you all told you goodbyes?" He asked and we all nodded.  "Ok then," He said taking in a deep breath. He bent towards the wall where there was a cable connected to the switch. He was bout to pull it out when I just couldn't let him do it. "Wait," I said stopping him from pulling it. "Can I do it?" I asked him. At first, he was hesitant but later he agreed. The room was filled with complete silence. Her parents standing in each other's arms crying. While Zoey was there just looking at Ariana with teary eyes.

I slowly leaned down and pulled down the oxygen mask that was on her face. I bent further down and I gently connected our lips. After a few seconds, I pulled away. "I love you and I will miss you a lot" I whispered to her. I put my hands around the plug but I couldn't pull it. Some part of me thought maybe she would wake up. I even believed in the stupid true love's kiss for a small amount of time but it was clear that nothing was going to bring her back. I have to do it. I carefully connected my lips to her forehead for one last kiss. And I did it. I pulled the switch. And I heard that sound from the heart monitor indicating that. She was dead.