Chapter Twenty - Three

SHE

The echo of her guttural, animalistic roar dissipated from the walls of her apartment. A large stain on the opposite wall dripped red wine to the floor. Below the stain, the shards of a wine glass that had shattered when she'd thrown it.
She swiped up on her phone screen, displaying the video controls. Selecting rewind, she moved the video back thirty seconds and watched again.
She'd seen both videos. Both defense teams looking around the house and the bedroom most especially. Taking photos. Making notes. She wasn't looking for anything that could help her defense, like she was supposed to. Instead, she was watching to make sure neither defense team discovered something in that bedroom that could tie her to her father's murder. Because there was something there. Something that she had overlooked. To the careful observer, the room was stained with all kinds of footprints on the rug and a large orange stain on the bare mattress. Nothing to separate her from her co-accused in the blood patterns. That's not the game she had been playing.
No, it was only when she'd watched this video that she had seen the single flaw in her plan so far.
It was plain and simple. And it looked like one of the defense teams might have exposed her mistake with a single photograph. The flash of their camera went off right at the very spot. If they didn't see it right then, which she was pretty sure they had not, they would surely see it when they got those photos printed. From their reactions in the video, it didn't look like the photographer had realized the significance of that photo. But they would, given time.
There were real risks here. Only one defense team had taken that picture. That picture could not see the light of day. If someone studied it, they would know she was the real killer. They would see. She had to stop it. There could be no one on the face of this earth who could know she killed her father. She simply could not allow it. All that she had worked for would unravel because of one stupid mistake and one lucky shot with a camera.
She needed to act. Tonight. Now. Get the photos.
Kill the photographer.