Chapter Fifty - Five

EDDIE

She motioned with the gun that I should keep backing up, toward the lounge. This wasn't the first time I'd had a gun pointed at me, but I got the impression she didn't want to use it. She liked to work up close and personal. There was a look on her face that I couldn't place. She wasn't panicked, she wasn't even breathing hard.
She was enjoying this. Every second. She had fooled me, but I wasn't the only one. Sofia Avellino was a monster, and she'd worn a mask her whole life. Now, she had become who she had always wanted to be – a winner. She had all of her father's money, and Alexandra ruined. She had her revenge on those she thought had wronged her, and she was almost pulsing with the power it gave her.
'Keeping moving,' she said. I was almost halfway across the hallway between the kitchen and lounge.
'How does it feel? Knowing you're going to die?' she asked.
I said nothing, I kept moving.
'Harper died too quickly. I wanted to cut her up, like I did with Daddy. But
that would've looked too suspicious. You'll die slow, Eddie.'
I should've been afraid. Fear could shut down a body just like a bullet. I
wasn't afraid. I was furious. I wanted to get up, grab that gun and put it under her chin. Keep it there, let the thought of death linger for Sofia and then pull the trigger.
The song playing through the house was kicking into gear, and Sofia was getting more excited with every passing note. 'You want to kill me, don't you?' she said. 'For what I did to Harper? Well, that's not going to happen. You're not going to kill me, Eddie.'
'Had she still been alive, Harper would've caught you earlier,' I said. 'And you deserve to die for what you did to her, but you're right. I'm not going to kill you.' I stopped moving. 'She is.'
Sofia's eye's blazed open, and then she wasn't there anymore. A deafening boom filled the hallway. I cried out, but my voice was drowned by the sound. An explosion. One second Sofia was there, standing over me. The next, she was lying face down in the hallway, five feet away. She'd lost the gun, and there was a massive pool of blood coming from beneath her arm. I looked up and saw Bloch standing at the other end of the hallway, a huge silver revolver in her hand. Harry behind her.
I took out my phone and dialed 911.