* S I X T E E N *

©  Amber Kalkes 2015

Song----------}

"Season Of The Witch" By Donovan

*S I X T E E N *

The room smells heavily of incense as I move around the dining table handing things to Nadine. Wren and Jack are at the farthest end of the table, the smells a bit overwhelming for them while Brandon hovers nearby. Mary for her part is downing a stack of flapjacks that one of the pack members made her. How she can eat when the whole damn room smells like a head shop though is beyond me.

“So what exactly will this do?” Wren asks with an arched brow.

I glance over at Nadine but she’s too busy smelling Rowan leaves to really give any notice to the Alpha. Clearing my throat I decide to speak up, “Well right now we’re working on a protection spell for you.”

Wren’s tone is dubious at best, “A protection spell?”

“For now.” I nod, “But once that’s done will be doing some divination. It’ll help pinpoint the trouble and hopefully give us a more clear view of what to expect.”

“Rogues.” Jack says, giving Nadine a strange look as she pinches some salt in between her fingers and tosses it into the round wooden bowl. “We’re expecting rogues. You said it yourself. Also, your protection spells are all well and good but I can protect Wren perfectly fine.”

Nadine wiggles her pointer finger and clicks her tongue at him, “Don’t be so sure, boy. You have a lot of heart and great love for your woman but that does not make you her champion. An Alpha must stand on her own two feet and a Gamma must make sure she does not fall down.”

“Holy shit, you’re the Alpha?” Mary asks around a mouthful of pancakes.

Wren smirks at her, “That I am.”

“That’s so cool!”

Wren grins at her and I roll my eyes before peeking over at Brandon. I’m not surprised to already see him staring at me. His golden eyes are intense but obviously troubled as well. I give him a little smile which he returns but it’s clear something is bothering him. Frowning a little I go back to my task of measuring the acacia dust to line the charm bag.

“He worries.” Nadine whispers in my ear, “He has no reason to but as men often do he does it anyway.”

“It’s nice to know he cares.” I shrug, trying to shake off my unease.

“Of course he cares, lovely. He loves you.”

My eyes snap up and widen at her words but she just gives me a look before going back to mixing the contents of the charm. I glance over at Brandon again and frown a little as he speaks lowly to Jack. Right now I would kill for some werewolf hearing to know what those too could be chatting about. Of course I think the goddess must only bless the non-nosey with the gift of super-hearing. Otherwise I’d be in everyone’s business, just like Nadine.

“Where did you learn to do this, Nadine?” Mary asks.

Nadine smiles over at her, “Its been passed down my family line. Most of the women either have the gift or have assisted those with many generations.”

“Nadine shares the same blood as Marie Laveau.” I add in with a smile of my own.

Mary scrunches up her nose, “Who?”

“The voodoo queen.” Wren says from her seat, “Right?”

“Ah, I see you must have been to Louisiana.” Nadine grins.