chapter twenty-eight

unreachable

This isn't what she thought she'd be doing today. Visit Sin, maybe do some work. She had interviews she wanted to look over. She still had her hopes up about finding Thor the God of Thunder.

Take a stroll with the dead? Nope, not on her to do list. Maybe she could fit it in tomorrow.

All it took was Jedda touching her in the middle of her forehead. It was like he pushed her soul right out of her body. Turning, she was able to watch him do the same to Zon.

As soon as cat Zon was back at her side, he roared and ran at someone else in the room with them.

A little old lady smiled at her, while another little old lady tried to shoo away the enormous cat. They were both dressed like they were from the fifties.

There was no one else in the room. "Jedda, I think you messed up. There's no one else here. Jedda? Ritz, can you hear me?"

She couldn't hear Ritz, but she could feel her. She could feel all of them. "Jedda?"

There was still no answer. "Zon, stop chasing that old lady and help me figure out what went wrong."

Zon crouched low, then leaped at the old lady. Like a puff of air, they disappeared until she was the only one left in the room.

That wasn't good.

Doors appeared all around her. In front of her she could just make out Kellum calling to her, so she faced the other direction and opened the door. She wouldn't go back till she found Lusiana's monster.

Seeing her dad in this room, she tried to turn back, but the door closed, and other doors appeared.

She refused to face him. "Go away. I don't want to see you. I don't want to hear anything you have to say."

She went through the nearest door and this time she came up behind him. Her dad turned to face her.

Shaking her head, she closed her eyes and felt along the wall for another door. When she came upon her father again, she took a deep breath. "Go away. You have nothing to say that I want to hear."

"You don't need to hear it, you need me to say it."

She didn't want to hear his voice. She ran across the room and opened another door. This one still held her father, but he was younger in this one and he was only moments from leaving. "Go away! Jedda, don't leave me here. Zon?"

No matter how many doors she opened, they all held her father. "Why can't you just leave me alone?"

"You don't need to hear it; you need me to say it."

Finally, she stopped running. "Then say it. If it means you leaving, then say it."

"I was wrong. You were never like me. You're like her."

"I already know that."

"You needed to know that I know it. Goodbye, Jessalynn."

Seeing her dad walk away, she felt like that kid he abandoned years ago. "Don't go."

"I always walk out." His face saddened. "There's no do overs. All you have to remember is that you're not like me, you're like her."

Kell's voice was to the back of her, but she wouldn't go back, and she refused to go through the door her dad just left through, so she opened another one. This one was empty, but there were voices. Kellum was still behind her, but she could hear Jedda ahead of her. Annie and Adrian.