chapter fifty-four

unknew

            With a heavy heart, she took her place on her throne without Kellum at her side. Her eyes were full of tears, but there was nothing she could do about that.

            Damous and Julian each stood on either side of her. Damous looked ready to take on a whole damn army, and Julian looked ready to kill whoever had put the tears in her eyes.

            This should be a time for him with his mate, but instead he was having to hold her together again.

            As the guards entered the room, they were instructed to leave their weapons on a table just inside the room. Other than some swords, she noticed several black boxes and silver sticks.

            Once they stood before her, they bowed their heads and waited for their instructions. If she was worried about any of these men, it was Godrick and Kar. They both liked to play everything by the book. Plus, it wasn't that long ago that she held a sword to Kar's neck.

            Frey entered last, and after a nod from Jessalynn, she went to stand next to her mate.

            She loved the change in those two. She'd swear that once or twice she'd almost seen a smile on the oak tree's face.

            "I would like my brothers and my sister to step forward. You may retrieve your weapons and stand next to Damous and Julian."

            She noticed Damous' unease. "It's okay. They are my family, they..." She had to give herself a moment before she could speak. Her tears ran down her face now. "They are his family. I trust them." She faced the rest of the men and women. Today you will be asked to do things you might not understand, things you might not want to do, but I need you to trust me and be the honorable men and women you are. I need to know who will follow me without question."

            "We have pledged ourselves to you, my Queen." They said almost as one.

            "I know, but today you will be tested so I am giving anyone who wants to bow down permission to do so."

            "We would never___."

            "Dezrick, show them my King's chambers."

            Only a few of them noticed the copper band around his neck and stiffened.

            "Yesterday treason was committed against your King. Once again, his memories were played with. We are unsure of how extreme the situation is. Until we know, I have removed him from power. You can retrieve your weapons and stand with me, or you can leave this room and be kept in your rooms until he's back under power."

            None of them even thought about it. They just retrieved their weapons.

            Godrick stepped forward. "How can we serve you, my Queen?"

            "After this I'm going to meet with the New Rulers and bring them up to speed. Then I will see to the advisors. I want people I trust watching them. Pensley, I would like you and Frey to go to Kellum. Maybe there's something you can do to help. I will send the other New Rulers who might be able to help as soon as I can. Alric, I would like you to keep watch over the King. Let no one get to him. Leave no one alone with him. Tell Frick I want him with me when I confront the advisors. Damous, give out the rest of their instructions."

            "Dra, you oversee the safety of the Queen's aunt and the Queen's Thaddeus. Until this is over with, I want them kept in the safety of their home. Hernsdomit and Fricka, you will fetch Meline home. Fricka stay at her side until you hear otherwise. Hernsdomit, once you see them home, get back here. Men, keep in mind they could not have done this alone, so do not trust anyone who is not in this room."

            Her guards rushed to do his bidding.

            "Damous, do you think my family is in danger?"

            "I will not chance it, my Queen. Godrick, take your men to the throne room. You are now in charge of keeping them where we want them. Make sure they cannot do any more damage."

            Godrick and Kar bowed to her, then filed out.

            Damous looked to his mate. "I am not leaving her side. Go to your family and let them know what is going on so they know she is safe, then meet us in the throne room. I would like to say we can trust all of our men, but I am still shocked this has even happened."

            Julian nodded and looked at her. "You call if you need me, right, babe?"

            "Right. If you don't stay safe, I'll kick your ass."

            "Back at you." With a wink, he left the room.