I call upon thee

I delivered their order to Mary, the chef, before I excused myself. Safe in the bathroom I tried to summon someone to give me answers, but it was quiet-I was on my own it seemed. Well, I wasn't powerless, I would manage. "Manage what?" my brain screamed to me. I could look into the books when I got home, but I didn't know what to look for, I needed to know more. My few moments alone had strengthened me, and my back was straight as I ventured out. I prepped the lemonades and walked over with more confidence this time. I opened my mind to the energy coming from the two men and studied them as I got closer. The eldest was good looking, maybe around 25, with dirty blonde hair. His eyes were brown, but he avoided looking directly at me. I could see the veins popping out from his arms, and the t-shirt was tight around his biceps. The ladies in town would go berserk over this one. As for the other... I hesitated some before I glimpsed his way, but he wasn't looking at me. He studied the glass in front of him as if it were a vas from the Ming dynasty.

  He's reciting something.

My brows furrowed, could they be witches? No, I would have picked up on that. Not to mention that they would have come to me first, out of respect. His hair was like an updated fifties-style, his eyebrows a nice bow. Since he had his eyes cast downwards, I could see his long lashes. Straight nose, soft beard. In a flash, I saw his lips against my neck. The image disappeared as soon as it came, thank the gods. He could be around 22-23 years old. His hands gripped the glass and I saw he had tattoos on his fingers. They both screamed "bad boys". There was nothing more to find, they were closed off. I smiled at them and took a step back.

"I'll be right over with your food."

The smiles in return felt like predators baring their teeth.

I felt the need for more protection, so I cast a small spell as I waited for the food. I took some salt in my hand and murmured so nobody would hear me.

Elements of the moon, elements of the Night

Please come to sight

Powers of Night, powers of Day

I summon thee

I call upon thee

To protect me

So mote it be.

I repeated the chant three times and had just finished when Mary put the plates in front of me, she gave me a weird look but said nothing. As I came closer to the table, I saw Blue Eyes look at me with raised brows, and his lips curled to a smirk. I tilted my head, could it be that he felt I'd cast a protection spell? Then I was right to do so. I put the plates down before them, blood dripping off the meat. I smiled at them and wished them a good meal. The eldest started digging in at once, but Blue Eyes finally met my eyes. They were filled with laughter and admiration.

I cleared some tables and chatted with Evans, one of our regulars, as they ate. The two boys talked once in a while but were mostly concentrating on the meal. Evans distracted me by taking my hand. "You look tired, kid. Is everything alright? You have to tell me if you need some help at the house." Evans had known my parents and it seemed he felt an obligation to check up on me from time to time. I gave his hand a squeeze; "I didn't sleep well last night, that's all. But I could use some help one day to trim the hedge, I don't know if I'm strong enough to hold the cutter up that long." Evans looked pleased that I'd asked for his help and he promised to stop by later in the week. Mom had imprinted me with this from I was a little girl, everyone needs to feel useful. If someone offers help, then say yes. You don't need spells to make a person feel good about themselves. I topped up his coffee and froze. The tingling up my spine was back. I turned slowly and the two men stood there waiting. I could see that the spell worked, they kept a certain distance.

I clapped my hands together, "Leaving so soon? Are you visiting someone in town?" I tried for an innocent voice, but they weren't fooled.

"Ahh, moving here actually."

This was the first time Blue Eyes had talked to me. I swallowed; his voice felt like forbidden fruit.

"Really? Where?" I didn't care if I sounded rude.

The smirk appeared again.

"We're moving into the old Pevensy-house."

My eyes popped open in surprise. Pevensy was the richest man in town, he'd died a month ago. The heirs had quarrelled over the estate, but now it seemed they'd reached an agreement. The house was too big for this town, it would be more suited in Beverly Hills, but Mr Pevensy liked his luxury.

"Well, good luck with that."

He smiled and handed me his card so he could pay. I went behind the desk and snuck a glance at the name, William Adamson.

Before they left, William glanced at my nametag, where it stood HANNA. Paul, my boss, had given it to me and I hadn't bothered to change it.

"I'm sorry if I seem rude, Hanna. But isn't your name spelled with two H's?" He met my eyes again, now there was only one emotion showing: curiosity.

" Game on," the voice inside me whispered. Instead of revealing my fear, I smiled my meanest smile at him.

"Well yes. Yes, it is. William."