Prophecy

The hallway, lined with pictures of family, welcomed me, and I felt my shoulders relax. Again, the feeling wasn't that of fear but something else; I tried not to analyze it anymore. It would be revealed someday. The kitchen was enormous, with an island where mom used to do all the work. The countertop was worn, but it had so much history embedded; it just had to be that way. Right now, the sun shone through the windows and lit the room up. I could almost hear my mom, dad, and brother laughing, waiting for me. I shook the vision out of my head; I had no time for nostalgia now. I ate my sandwich, stood at the counter, and drank a big glass of milk. Was I nervous? I didn't know what I would find in the book, but it couldn't be that bad, right? I knew there was more to this world than witches, but I had no idea what the Adamson family could be. They looked human, although they were all freakishly good-looking. A shiver ran down my spine at the memory of William's blue eyes, the way they'd searched for something inside me. I waved the feeling away with my hand-I was a twenty-two-year-old girl; I didn't have to put more than hormones into this. Grabbing a bottle of white wine and a glass, I entered the study. The book lay on the desk, almost vibrating with its age. I took a deep breath. "Ok, let's do this."

There were words I had to look up, and words I couldn't decipher at all, but I got the gist of it. The prophecy was about Seth and his ancestors.

Did I understand any of it? It seemed it was translated from another language, the English a bit stiltet

Did I understand any of it? It seemed it was translated from another language, the English a bit stiltet. Some of it had to be seen together with the first tale, where Eve and Seth goes to find oil from the Tree of Mercy. That must be the Holy oil. On the way there they met a beast, that had to be the one mentioned, but the rest was a riddle. "Stilled by magic's touch"? And what did every man fear? Did the first phrase mean that their kind could become a thousand years old? It wasn't  much more in the book, just tales about Eve and Adam, and Seth. Some said that the whole population now were descendants from Seth, as Noah, his x times grandson, and his wife, were supposedly the only ones who survived the Great Flood. We knew that was bullshit, but many did die back then. The point was that if Seth did have over fifty children and they had kids and so on, there were many Children of Seth today. If they were dangerous, like the prophecy hinted at, why didn't anybody know about them? I picked up the phone and dialled Samuel's number. It was Bridget, his daughter who was my age, that picked up.

"Hannah!"

She greeted me before I'd even said my name, but I wasn't surprised. She just knew things.

"I dreamt about you!" Her angel-like voice soothed me through the phone, and I felt a pang in my heart. I didn't know how much I'd missed my best friend before now. "Bridge, I've missed you so much..." Her bell-like laughter mesmerised me, and I had a quick flash of the Bridget from 1690, no wonder the men thought she was a witch. "Listen, Hannah. Dad want's to talk to you, so I have to go. Just..." Her voice trailed off. "be careful under the full moon."

Before I got to ask about what she meant, her dad had a hold of the phone. "Hannah, sweetie. How are you? Have you learned anything else?" I told him about the book and waited for his response.