Chapter 16

"Estelle!" Nikolaidis shouts as soon as his wife gets off the carriage. The Duke looks like he's been worried sick, waiting for the Duchess to return.

"Are you alright? I was told you were injured!"

He scans her body for any injuries with furrowed brows. As he spots her bandaged hand, he lightly grabs it to take a closer look. Estelle could see how anxious Nikolaidis was. It makes her feel horrible for getting herself wounded, even though it was an accident.

"Let's go to our room," he says and carries her in his arms.

"Hey! I can walk-" She protests, shocked that he suddenly swept her off the ground.

"No," he cuts her off, "I'm carrying you to our room."

Nikolaidis spoke so strictly that Estelle couldn't get another word out. He's never acted this way before. He's kind of scaring me.

She could feel everyone staring at them. All the palace servants were watching with shocked looks. She hides her face on the Duke's chest, feeling embarrassed from all the attention they're getting.

She could even hear some of them whispering, "oh my, such public display of affection... The Ducal Couple is so sweet!"

They arrive shortly to their room with the sunset peeking through the windows. Nikolaidis gently seats Estelle on their bed. He kneels in front of her, looking very upset. She turns away from his stare while fumbling with the silver ring on her uninjured hand. She feels like a kid that got caught doing something bad. Both of them remain quiet, a strong tension in the air.

"Does it hurt?" Nikolaidis breaks the silence.

He seems to have calmed down now, Estelle thinks. She shakes her head no without looking at him. He sighs, frustrated.

"When I heard something happened to you, I-I thought... I thought he found you..." He speaks, voice trembling.

He envelopes her in an embrace. She stays frozen in place, confused. Is he talking about Nathaniel? Did he think that bastard came to hurt me?

"I'm not letting you leave my sight anymore."

Nikolaidis' words make Estelle's heart pound in her chest. He pulls away from the hug but hides his face from her. He stays like that for a moment, trying to control himself. He finally raises his head. Tears streak on the side of his handsome face. The corners of his ocean blue eyes have become red and puffy. It's the first time she's seen him crying. It's absolutely agonizing for her.

"Do you hate me?" He asks.

The room suddenly felt cold. She's taken aback by his question. I don't hate you Nikolaidis. In fact, I...

"You avoid me. Act indifferent when I try talking to you. When we're alone, I feel like you dislike being with me but... But then, sometimes, you seem happy to be around me. Do you how you make me so confused, Estelle?"

She couldn't manage to say anything. Will he accept me if I tell him everything? Will he believe me if I reveal that I'm actually from another world? Will he understand that I avoided him all this time because I care for him?

"I don't want to force my feelings on you," he buries his head on her lap, crying.

"But, I can't take it anymore. I have to tell you, even if you hate me..."

Could it be? Does Nikolaidis already...

"I love you, Estelle."

No. This shouldn't have happened.

He looks up at her, "I love you. Will you let me stay by your side?"

She can't stop herself from crying now. Her vision blurs as tears swell in her eyes, "I'm so sorry... I'm so sorry Nikolaidis!"

I'm sorry for failing you, Nikolaidis. I'm sorry that you'll become a villain because of loving me. I failed. I didn't want this to happen. I thought I did my best to prevent you from falling for me but you already love me... And I love you too. I love you that's why I don't want you to ruin yourself over my impending death.

"Why are you saying that? Estelle, you did nothing wrong!"

"I'm sorry... I don't hate you, Nikolaidis..."

Estelle clenches her shaking fists and lets out what she's been holding in, "I love you."

With those words he leans in and meets her lips with his own. Nikolaidis gives Estelle a warm kiss that melts every thought off her mind. She closes her eyes and kisses him in return, letting go of all her fears and worries. The dark future that awaits them does not matter to her now. At this moment, she just wants to express how much he means to her.

Their kiss turns from gentle to passionate. Nikolaidis stops holding back and pushes Estelle to the bed. He climbs on top of her without letting their mouths break apart. His large frame hovers over her like a protective blanket. He cradles her face with one hand while the other clutches her waist possessively. He can finally claim her as his own.

She gasps as he finds a way to slide his tongue in. Hot and wet. Her legs feel like they've turned to jelly as he kneads their tongues together. All her senses become tuned to Nikolaidis. The feel of his mouth hungrily taking hers again and again. The roughness of his hands running through her body. His masculine smell. The sound of his low moans. His pleasant salty taste. It's intoxicating.

They pull away to catch their breaths. Ragged. Heavy. He wipes away the tears on her face as he gazes at her with hooded lids and flushed cheeks, "I want to continue what we're doing but we have a banquet with the Emperor..."

"I-I almost forgot!" She covers her face with her hands, feeling shy after realizing what she just did. I just confessed and made out with Nikolaidis! He even put his tongue in...

"Why are you hiding your face from me?"

He chuckles as he tries to pry her hands off. He's still on top of her, his weight making it difficult for her to move. He succeeds, a triumphant smirk on his face. Her heart does somersaults as her husband gives her a light peck.

"Let's get ready or we'll be late," he says offering a hand to help her up.

She takes it and he swiftly pulls her close to him. Their faces are only a few inches apart. Her eyes automatically trail to his lips which have become moist and swollen.

"I love you, Estelle," he says and kisses her once again.