Part 12

Chapter 7

I was probably a bit of a sentimental fool for even remotely thinking I should help Lawrence. I lay in bed that night, just for the sake of laying there really, not to sleep, thinking about the past. Lawrence had been the one man I’d almost actually fell for—human and all. A whisper of fur against the wood floor drew my attention toward the door to see Kitty heading toward me.

“Hey, sweetie,” I said in my ‘I love Kitty’ voice. She wagged her tail at me, shuffling, until she came beside my bed, her nose sniffing me. “You hungry?” She put her nose against me, and lightly bit me, which normally meant I’m bored, not I’m hungry.

“Do you want to go for a walk?” I looked over at the nightstand, her leash dangling from the dresser drawer. She gave a voiceless ‘ruff’ and I figured that had to be ‘yes, Mom, I’m bored walk me.’ I grabbed the leash and latched it onto her pink sparkly collar that read ‘Kitty’ my address was on the back of it in case someone found her roaming around. Whoever did find her would have a fun surprise if they found my vampire dog and tried to keep her. Kitty turned her attention up to me, and we walked toward the door in a blur of speed. Kitty loved running, and it felt good to stretch my legs and to be able to clear my mind about what I was about to do tomorrow morning. I’d called Claud and scheduled a meeting at my sweet shop. I figured that’d be the safest place for us to talk, I’d close up for an hour, and get right down to it.

Kitty and I moved silently, if anyone was to look outside they’d see barely a blur, and probably take us for a trick of their imagination anyways. I liked this sleepy little place—it was so different than anywhere else I’d lived in the last hundred years. I liked the slowness of it, the friendless of the people, everything was perfect, everything except my own personal devil that constantly followed me around—Claud. Every time I picked up and moved, he somehow would catch a sniff of it and track me until he found out where I’d settled my cute little butt.

Probably twenty years ago, I’d almost gave into him—I was at a low time in my life—missing my family and a bit horny, if I’m going to be blunt and honest. I’d set up shop, like I normally did, buying a little piece of property in the middle of a nice down town. I was evaluating my life, and part of me started to really ache for a companion, this was before I got Kitty, and the human friends I had made seemed to be too suspicious of me. He’d approached me with a fair offer, telling me he’d let me have my own free reign, all the money and power I could handle, and fresh human blood at my beck and call. Claud had a “system” that he’d set up over the last century.

Humans, believe it or not, willingly had given up their freedom to be his “system” and live with him. The perk they got was money to burn, a wealthy status, and Claud’s creepiness. He just had to hop from willing victim to willing victim, then heal them after he’d drank from them. He kept his human’s blood pure of alcohol or other things that would make their blood taste disgusting.

Kitty veered toward a tree and I slowed down for a half a second, my ears perking up to make sure no one was around. She still sniffed trees, even though she didn’t pee, it must have been an after effect of being a real dog. I gave her a rub on her ears as she sniffed around, leaning up against the tree, watching the dark street around us.

I’d almost given into Claud that day—the deal had sounded perfect. I’d be Claud’s wife, have money, endless food—for what? For my utter freedom. The memory rolled through my mind.

20 years ago

“Welcome, love,” Claud said, his eyes shining with satisfaction as I walked inside his mansion. Was giving into this guy making me loose part of who I really was? If my dad was alive he’d slap me and tell me to ‘Keep it together, Willow Butt!’

Somehow the thought of my dad made my entire body shudder with a sense of dread. What am I doing here? Claud ushered me through the foyer and into a sitting room, where a warm fire crackled and two well-dressed handsome young men sat on a sofa, casting an eager look toward me.

“What’s this?” I motioned toward the buffet.

“A snack before dinner, love,” he said and winked at me. Willing humans have always disturbed me like—hello you’re the prey I’m the predator—you shouldn’t walk into my mouth. It felt strangely wrong, even though part of me knew that their blood would be superior to some poor drunk off the street who I tapped a vein on. I stopped mid-step and heard Claud’s breath freeze—not that the guy had to breath air. An itch started in my chest, spreading like cold fingers through my blood.

“I thought we’d enjoy a nice, quiet dinner, than head upstairs to converse.” Claud’s eyes were dangerously mysterious, but I could read through him like a book. I could smell the spiked containments in the humans sitting on the couch.

“You spiked their blood,” I said, and turned a dark smile on him. “Why would you do that? I said I’d consider your offer.”

He looked like a cat I’d thrown in a bathtub, his face getting paler, if that was possible for a dead man.

“No…I just added a bit more intensity to flavor them correctly for you.”

“You want me to drain them…why?”

His eyes were guarded, and I couldn’t quite feel out why he’d do that to me. If they were spiked—that means that I’d lose complete control of myself.

“I want you to enjoy yourself, love, fully enjoy being who you are. No restraints, the spiked blood just eases you into a healthy obsession.”

“Claud…” I said his name like I was determining what to do with him, which I was in fact.

I knew he instantly heard my hesitation, and he started to open his mouth to protest my next words.

“I can’t do this.” I turned from the two men, whose blood smelt stronger than any blood I’ve ever smelt before.

“Why?” his voice gasped, and his eyes filled with horror at his own demise.

“You’re trying to turn me into something I’ll never be. I can’t be a vampire whore, I’m sorry.” I started to run toward the exit.

“Iva!” he screamed, and his voice cracked with pain. “Please! Please, wait!”

I hesitated for a moment, turning to face him.

“I can’t lose you, I’ve waited too long.” He rushed at the two humans, dug his fangs into their necks one after another and drained each and every drop of blood. Their limp bodies slumped to the floor—they hadn’t even had a moment to scream before they died. My stomach clenched, sick with disgust at his antics. “There, the temptation is gone—I won’t change you, I promise. I’ll give you anything you want—anything.”

I stared at his desperate face, hesitating again about what to do. He was called the vampire god—wealthy—powerful—handsome enough.

“I can’t live like Dracula, I’m sorry. I’m not you.” With those words, I left his mansion, running as far away as I could from Claud, chastising myself for almost giving into that dick’s desires.

Kitty stopped sniffing the tree, her dark eyes turning up toward me like what now? I gave her head a pat, the memory of Claud had put me in an odd mood. Was Lawrence another tactic of Claud’s? Lawrence had seemed pretty vulnerable, and it wouldn’t take that much to coax him into doing something stupid.