Part 20

Chapter 14

Moon, Blue, and I all slouched up against a brick wall, my stomach was bloated, and I felt like taking a long doze. Which was weird because vampires don’t need sleep. I gave a lazy smile, looking up at the blue sky. Wait. It was morning? I suddenly jerked, my hand slapping Blue in the face in the process.

“Hey—hey—hey!” I got to my feet, feeling oddly woozy.

“Ouch, that’s my eye.” Blue rubbed his face in a delayed reaction, his face scrunched in pain.

“Sorry, Green—ergh—Blue. I just realized we…umm…passed out here. In a blood stupor. God, I’m an idiot!” I was mentally scolding myself over and over for letting myself indulge like I did last night. In our world there was spiked vampire blood—that could make us go flipping nuts—and then there was this—binging on blood until it was almost like we became drunk. Some vampires didn’t even remember who or what they killed when they went into a stupor like we had done to ourselves.

“Okay, god, this is…um…bad.” I choked on my words, instantly feeling the wave of shock that followed doing that to my body. I’d done it a few times when I was a newborn vampire, but never, ever, ever as a more mature one. Had I taken stupid pills since Claud had me drink his blood?

“Well, well…” a voice cooed from the end of the long alleyway. I could make out a lithe figure, with long blonde hair, and a killer smile. Literally her smile looked like she was going to kill someone. Vampire model. They were rare. The vampires that actually looked like a perfect specimen of a vampire. Perfect hair. Perfect skin. Perfect butt. God, I was so jealous right now looking at her. So unfair.

“You’re the fair one,” she purred at me, her crackling red eyes lit with amusement—but I wasn’t amused—and underneath that amusement was a darkness that made me a bit freaked.

“Hmm…me? Fair? I’m no Snow White, sweetie,” I said, trying to avert the intense glare coming from her face.

“I wonder what Claud sees in you, tsk, tsk.” She shook her head, and her hair, believe it or not, floated around her face like one of those god-awful-cheesy commercials. “There must be somethingggg…”

Her words literally hissed, and I wondered if this girl was part reptile. I almost half expected her hair to be snakes like that Medusa chick.

“There are many who are left wondering why he has chosen you to pursue for eight-three long years. Why not choose a bride more suitable for his—position.” She took a step down the alley, and my two newborn friends slunk behind me like kids behind their mama’s skirt. She was a creepy thing; I didn’t blame them for hiding.

“God if I know. He’s annoying as hell,” I said, half sputtering the words. That made her pause.

“Wait, you don’t desire the vampire god?” Her eyes widened way too far for her own good—it made her perfect face look oddly proportioned and did nothing for her symmetric features.

“You just said it yourself; he’s been chasing me for eighty-three long, freaking years.” As I spoke the words I moved forward a few steps. Blondie drew in a deep breath.

“My mistake, because I too have been chasing someone for eighty-three long freaking years as you put it.” She paused for dramatic effect then said. “Claud just won’t see the light of day.” She gave a light chuckle.

“I just want to make donuts.” I shrugged, pursing my lips.

“Donuts?” The lady looked offended by the word.

“Yeah, sugary blissful things that I sell at my shop: Sweet Bites.”

“I’d love to try one,” Blondie said, her crackling eyes easing into a dull red.

“Yeah, that’d be great.” I gave her a smile, glanced back at my two friends, and ran toward Sweet Bites with Blondie following me. That is if I still had a shop. I was being pretty inconsistent with Sweet Bites lately. People were going to think I was closing.

 I got to Sweet Bites, Blonde and my two friends standing behind me, waiting for me to open the door. I shoved my key in and let them inside with a soft huff. Claud had really made my life suck. And I still had to give him a fair chance, whatever that entitled. Clyde would probably be in to check on my progress of that.