2 - Beginning of the Journey

My best friend entered my apartment with happy face. "I'm so happy you're home"

"I missed you Al" I hugged him tightly feeling comforted by his presence. I knew Al since we were the little kids. It was the only person I wasn't scared to touch.

The conversation with therapist lingered in my mind. Am I really sad and lonely because I don't want to be touched? Should I try to change it? Without anyone's help? Because it's not like I need help.

"Lia, why the hell it's so cold here?"

"The heating broke. I don't know how to fix it but I managed to cut myself while trying"

"Damn, this needs to be cleaned" Alex muttered looking at my wound.

"Don't be ridiculous I'm fine" I snatched my hand from his hold and came back to the most important task of the day.

"What are you doing?" Alex asked curiously looking over my shoulder.

"Booking the plane tickets"

Alex read the name of the city displayed on the laptop screen.

"Catania?"

"Yup. I mean that's the staring base but I'm planning to see the whole island"

"But won't that be expensive?"

"No. I will hitchhike a lot. It will be a budget trip"

"Alone? You want to do all of this alone?" Alex was horrified by my idea. "This is dangerous"

"Cmon what's the worst that could happened?"

"I can think about at least million things that could go wrong"

"I'm going, Alex"

"Then I'm going with you"

"Wait? You do? Don't you have to work?" I asked, surprised by his offer.

"I can take paid leave. To take care of my irrepressible best friend"

"Well, your irresponsible best friend would be lost without you"

"At least with that one she's not wrong"

🌹🌹🌹

The plane ride was boring because I was sitting on an inside row. I was unable to enjoy the views.

"I don't understand how can you read this gossip magazines" I said looking Alex over the shoulder.

"Hey, don't judge me. Look Janet Craig has ended up with two mates. There's whole article about how they met, damn I wish I was her."

"Who's Janet Craig?"

Alex showed pointed at the first page of a  newspaper. "Are you serious? One of the most popular actresses that emerged in last ten years! Do you live under the rock?"

I shrugged my shoulders "I hate watching movies"

"That's the most unrelatable thing I've ever heard" Alex responded drily and shook his head in disappointment.

"Is it even possible to have more than one mate?" I asked feeling a little confused and then shivered. That would be a nightmare having to reject two people.

"I mean there's technically no limit to how many mate you can have but having more than one is extremely rare. It would be funny if you of all people would end up with more than one"

"No. Don't jinx it. Absolutely not"

🌹🌹🌹

Hi guys,
I'm sorry it's short but I just wanted to leave the idea out there. I feel super stressed and unmotivated lately because my last story flopped hard and I don't know.. I just want to write and enjoy it but I never know if what I write is interesting. So please let me know what you think about this book so far. Are you interested in continuation?