3 O'Clock Things (Adam)

3:00 AM came earlier than any of us would have wanted. I woke up to my door creaking open and Ryan standing in the doorway restlessly.

"Hey..." He greeted quietly.

"Hey..." I blinked my eyes awake and tried to fight through my sleepiness. "Is it time?"

"Yeah..." Ryan mumbled, "...it's time."

"Alright," I yawned between sentences. "How are you feeling?"

Ryan took a breath. "Nervous, I don't know what to expect. I mean...if something happens, this could be our last day together, y'know?"

I nodded. "I know."

Ryan sighed before closing the door behind him. I took a breath and tried not to let the emotions overwhelm me. We had important things to do. I got out of bed and threw on a t-shirt and jeans, then walked out into the living room.

Jack stood near the front door, staring blankly into the distance. His eyes looked dark, like he hadn't slept much. He still seemed shaken up from his nightmare.

"Are you doing okay?" I asked.

He jumped slightly. "Uh...yeah. Just tired I think. It's early."

"Mhm. And your nightmare?"

He sighed and looked at me crossly. "Look...I'm flattered that you guys are concerned about me. I just...don't want to talk about it."

I stepped back. "Alright. I won't pry, then."

Ryan approached us and took an anxious breath. He looked at each of us expectantly. "Ready?"

I shrugged. "No, but I don't think I'll ever be."

Jack nodded.

Ryan crossed his arms. "Me neither. So...let's go, I guess."

****

It was a particularly quiet night for Manhattan. The sounds of traffic and people wandering the streets could be heard in the distance. Occasionally, there would be an ambulance or a police car. The only light in the area came from street lamps or the few people in their apartments who were still awake. It felt like we were doing something wrong. And for all we knew, maybe we were.

We walked to my car in the parking ramp, no one saying a word to each other the entire way. We were all too busy with our own thoughts. Anxiety, past traumas, or trying to come up with anything that vaguely resembled a plan. Too many thoughts, and not enough time to unpack them all.

The car doors closed with a hefty thunk. Ryan turned to me in the passenger seat.

"This feels familiar," He remarked.

I scoffed. "At least it's not auto theft this time."

Ryan chuckled.

Jack looked up at me in the rearview mirror. "Do you...remember where you're going?"

I cocked my head as I started the car. "Unfortunately...yeah...yeah, I do."