Special

Love. Is it really the only thing needed for a relationship to work out? If so, then I must have been wrong. For all I know, love is the sunlight. But like a garden, a relationship must be watered, fertilized, and well-tended.

To him, love is the only thing we need to fix in this relationship.

For a few weeks now, I have come to a realization that this isn't going anywhere. The only thing that makes me hold on is my hope for the relationship and my love for him. The relationship has been stagnant for a while. It's like the fire didn't stop burning, but also, didn't grow bigger. He was too contented with what we have, not minding as to how it could be better. I, on the contrary, think that this relationship is meant to be the best. I was waiting – waiting for him to make any special move that would prove to me that this is all worth it. And for many months now, he still couldn't understand the word "special". I was waiting until I got tired. It was one of the many Saturdays of the year. After not seeing each other on new year's day, I realized I have been avoiding his texts, calls, and chats. It was as though I realized that there would be no future for the both of us.

But that Saturday, that one Saturday, I agreed to seeing and going out with him. At the back of my mind, I was hoping that this would turn things back to normal. Then again, I don't want the "normal".

We decided to watch a movie – that was one thing I missed since we became 'busy' with our lives. I liked leaning on his shoulders and him hugging me from the side. I liked the random kisses every time we were together.

And that Saturday, I missed everything so much.

"Did you enjoy the movie?" He said while smiling.

"How could I not? I was with you again."

"Good."

While eating at some fast-food establishment, I can see that he too, was doing hard work to get things back to where it was before. He would constantly joke, which I found not really funny. Until I realized that I needed to talk.

"Can you call this special?" I asked him randomly.

"Hm, yeah. Why?"

"Really?"

"Hm." He nodded.

I let out a big sigh. "Oh, okay."

"Why? Isn't this special for you?"

"I mean, a different 'special'. Because I'm waiting. I don't really consider this special as I can afford this on my own."

"Oh. Then maybe we could eat a finer place next time." He smiled.

I let out a big sigh again. He doesn't really understand.

"I don't mean 'special' is expensive. Not that way. No, it's not really like that."

"Ah? Then, what do you mean? Our first kiss was special. The day I let you met my parents. Oh yeah, the necklace I gave you. Those are special right?"

I shook my head left to right. "Those are special moments. What I'm asking you is special actions."

"Ah, really? Then.. haven't I done anything special yet?"

I looked at him. I felt my hope was flying away from me. But love remained and I could only smile at him. He still doesn't understand anything. Maybe he really won't understand anything.

I sat there, quiet. I have nothing to say to him anymore. If I do, I might blurt things out I don't want to.

And after eating, we decided to go home. We were walking as if we do not know each other. A step away. If you could grab my hand at times like these, then maybe, that would be special.