▪️◼️Chapter Twelve◼️▪️

I walk into the giant closet with small, cautious steps.

There's a fancy sconce above my head lighting wall to wall shelving and hanging rods.

My eyes trail along cashmere and silk absolutely dumbstruck. The room's bigger than my bedroom and packed full of clothes. I was imaging he meant one outfit, not an entire wardrobe.

One side of the closet is designated men's clothes while the other half's filled with women's dresses, shirts, and skirts all expensive looking.

"Whoa..." I take a step in further up to the rack of women's garments hanging from wooden hangers.

I reach for a creamy lightweight sweater the color of the sky. The material is a dream against my skin and it's in my size. I slide the garment aside to find a satin dress, shiny and black.

I keep flipping until I've looked through all the clothing. I lean back to find a line of heels and flats at my feet, also my size.

My heart races, vibrating against my empty stomach.

At first I assumed I had walked into something by accident last night.

I figured I'd witnessed a murder that I shouldnt've seen and Vladimir's assassin took me as a hostage because of it.

It's a logical explanation.

Vladimir had a lot of enemies. I've often wondered when his bad decisions would catch up to him.

But as my eyes graze over every designer dress and shoe, it's abundantly clear that what I thought to be true is not the case. At least not entirely.

This goes way deeper than last night.

Me walking into Vladimir's suite at that exact moment was no accident. I didn't stumble in and interrupt.

No.

The assassin was waiting for me.

He wanted me to walk in on him, that's why he was sitting in a chair waiting instead of fleeing the scene before I got there.

"He planned to kidnap me all along..." I whisper, releasing my thoughts to the empty closet. My voice sounds strange, raspy and dry from dehydration. "But w-why me?"

It's the reasoning I can't come to terms with. I'm nobody. What possible use could he have for me?

"Kidnap you?" A deep voice sounds from the doorway.

I jump, startled, and spin around frightened by the unexpected intrusion. I grab at my chest as it heaves up and down for air.

How long has he been standing there? Has he been watching me? I didn't hear him walk in behind me nor did I mean for him to hear me talking to myself.

My cheeks flush with embarrassment as his eyes burn their way down my body lingering on the curve of my hips a moment longer than is comfortable as he steps into the closet fully.

I gulp down my nerves, squaring my shoulders in preparation for any touch or piece of me he may steal as I take a step back putting space between us.