▪️◼️Chapter Twenty Two◼️▪️

Hi everyone! This chapter is way longer than normal. It's essentially two chapters in one but it's a very suspenseful chapter and I didn't want to interrupt the drama by splitting them in two. I hope you enjoy!

▪️◼️Chapter Twenty Two◼️▪️

The long corded muscles of his back tighten as he looks over his shoulder at me. His gaze finds mine across the small room.

The dim lighting causes shadows to fall sharply across his cheekbones while the light dances in his pupils.

The emerald and gold colors of his eyes are so deep they have me feeling like I'm drowning—in the painful, suffocating sort of way. I can't handle looking into them for long.

Quickly, I drop my eyes back down to the complicated designs that seem to weave their way in and out of the hills and valleys of tight muscle and bronzed skin.

He's just about to tug on a dress shirt but pauses mid sleeve.

"I do." He answers before turning around to face me fully, revealing a chest full of similar patterns.

Oh wow.

The designs are an eclectic mix of black and grey ink made from both bold and delicate strokes. In the middle of his chest is a sword that's wrapped in Celtic knots made from the scales of a snake. There are thorny roses and intricate patterns woven in between symbols that may be Hebrew or Latin. I'm not sure, I'm not familiar with either but I can tell it's a language.

My feet shuffle closer on their own accord as he slips his arms into his shirt and shrugs it over his shoulders. "You have so many." I breathe out into the stillness. "They're so intricate."

His fingers hesitate on the bottom button. He glances up at me with a peculiar expression.

"Is there something you need from me, Alina? Or..." He drags his eyes from mine down the robe I'm wearing and back up again. "Are you just looking?"

I blush. His mouth flickers with amusement.

I have so many things plaguing my mind. So many questions I want to ask him but now that I'm standing here so close to him like this with his chest bare and the beautiful artwork on full display. I can't remember a single thing.

I'm too curious about his tattoos.

How had I not seen them before now? Not even a hint of ink?

The ones on his chest stop at the crest of his collarbones but sweep up his shoulders and wrap all the way down each arm to just above his wrists.

Woah.

"What do they mean? The designs?"

He continues to button his shirt without looking at me again. "That's none of your business." He grunts, shaking out each arm and pulling on the cuff of each sleeve, making sure the material is sitting perfectly. The motion causes the shirt to pull tightly across his broad chest revealing his muscular build yet his tattoos remain completely hidden from the world.

"So they do mean something then?" I say, too curious to let it go.

He drops his arms to his sides before shooting me with a glare. He turns around and grabs a belt from its hanger.

I watch him as he gets fully dressed lacing the belt through its loops and tucking his dress shirt into his onyx slacks.

I frown at him.