Chapter Seven

Started With a Lie – Chapter Seven

I tip the glass of champagne in my hand, watching it circle around in the glass. I take a sip—one of many in the past hour. The party is coming to an end.

            There are hotel assistants cleaning up tables, picking up trash, and mopping the floor. I sit at an empty table, empty glasses and plates everywhere. There are one or two guests lingering around, but they’re not important people so I don’t have to act all nice.

            Lee is trying to reason with the reporters somewhere to stop the pictures and videos from going out into the public. I sigh. I’m nervous. When he comes back, he’s going to be pissed.

            I down my drink and put the glass down.

            I shouldn’t be drinking. Mom told me not to drink until I’m old enough, but I really need a drink right now. I feel a headache coming on. I wonder if I’m drunk.

            “Miss, can you please clear the table so I may clean?” a lady in the black hotel uniform asks me. Her face is blurry—the alcohol must be kicking in. I knew I shouldn’t have downed so many drinks.

            “Surrre,” I slur. I stand up but I forget I’m wearing heels and tumble to the ground. It hurts but I can’t tell where. “Whoops.”

            “Are you okay, miss?!” the lady shrieks, rushing over to help me. She tries to tug my arm but I feel like something’s holding me to the ground—something heavy.

            “I can’t get up, lady. Zombies are coming out of the ground and are keeping me from getting up. Leave without me, lady! You can make it,” I say, flinging my hand away from her. “Go!”

            “Pardon, miss?” She sounds confused—it’s funny.

            “It’s okay, Patty, I got her,” a voice breaks in. It sounds deep. It sounds funny. Everything sounds funny. Suddenly, I’m lifted from the ground. “God, you’re heavy!”

            “Oh my gosh! Thank you, kind man. You saved me from the zombies,” I yell. He’s holding me in his arms. “Thank you!” I wrap my arms around his neck, causing the man to flinch.

            I can feel sleep tugging at my eyes.

            “God, Ivory, you’re so heavy. You weigh like a whale.” Ivory? Who’s Ivory? This man is confusing. I’m so sleepy. I rest on the man’s shoulder. He smells really good. I sniff his shoulder. “What are you doing!”

            Is he talking to me?

            “I’m sniffing your shoulder, silly. You smell really good. I can’t tell if it’s lemon or apple or what. You smell like…”

            “Stop smelling me.” He throws me on something comfy; a bed? I don’t let him go. “Please remove your arms off my neck.”

            “No!” I protest. “Come sleep with me, teddy bear.” My vision gets blurrier. I’m really sleepy now. I tug the man closer until he lands on top of me. “You’re so warm.”

            He tries to shrug off but I tighten my grip. He struggles before giving up with a sigh. I smile with content. It’s too cold without this big teddy bear hugging me. Now, I’ll have a good night rest.

            I drift off into sleep with a smile and a fluffy teddy bear.

“Wake up!” A large hand shakes my shoulder violently. “Wake up, Ivory!” The warm covers are ripped away from me. A shiver runs through me. I hate the cold weather. Mom is so violent, sometimes.