𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓰

Crying, that's all Michael could hear inside his mothers and his small cabin. His mother, Mary had just given birth to his younger sister, who was to be named, Lucy. He was excited of course, but he knew having a younger sibling attached to your leg wasn't the fairest thing in the world. He also knew he would have to take up the job of helping his mother with the baby and the house.

He was only eleven when Lucy was born, so he wasn't really looking forward to letting playtime in the fields leave his everyday routine. But playing in the fields with his friends was supposed to be the least of his worries, he had school, and of course homework. As he snapped out of his day dreaming, Dr. John walked through the door quietly and ushered Michael to him.

"When you go in there Michael, be very quiet we only just got the little kicker to go to sleep." He said in a hushed tone.

"Yes sir." Michael said keeping his voice low.

"Oh, and Michael, your mother has gotten very sick. keep an eye on her for me and tell me if anything worsens." he said as he turned and strode off onto the street.

Michael could feet his stomach drop. His head swam with nothing but fear of his mother dying as he walked through the door silently.

As soon as he got into the house he quietly made his way to the small kitchen and set out some fresh bread and milk for his mother when she woke. He also set out a slice for himself for after he got finished with his chores. As he sat reading a book his friend Peter had lent to him, the baby let out a cry. Michael walked over to where the baby had been sleeping and slowly picked her up. Michael pat her gently as he had seen many mothers doing that to calm their infants, he also started to hum a small tune he remembered Mother had hummed to him when he wouldn't fall asleep or if he was upset. The baby soon fell asleep in Michaels arms, so he went and carefully sat back into his mothers rocking chair, and rocked slowly back and fourth with his baby sister sleeping calmly in his arms.