Vendetta (Cassian)

Summary: Y/N is a member of the Summer Court, and has been serving there since the first (and only) time Cassian visited and earned himself a life-long ban. Decades later, when the Summer Court and the Night Court are building up relations again after the war, Y/N's not quite ready to move on until they can get a little personal revenge on the Illyrian general.

****************

I paced the terrace of the Summer Palace in Adriata while I waited for Tarquin, Cressida, and Varian to arrive. I was to travel with the three of them to a diplomatic meeting in the Night Court, the first one since the war. We'd all heard many different things about Rhys and his kingdom, but now I was apparently going to see it first-hand.

If I were really being honest with myself, that's not what I was nervous about. If any of our scouting reports or prior knowledge of the Night Court was correct, then the Night Court's general would be attending as well. And I had a bone to pick with him.

The last time Cassian had been in my city, he destroyed an entire building and caused a ridiculous ruckus that had taken months to clean up. He'd been banned for life, but that didn't mean I'd gotten over his stupid little stunt.

I'd only seen him once since, briefly, during the Battle of Adriata. He flew over my company of soldiers like an avenging angel, leading the Illyrians to help push back the tide of Hybern soldiers and save the city. I'd actually been quite taken with him, before I realized who he was after the battle.

And still, in my book, his actions against Hybern did not make up for destroying a building in the middle of a diplomatic visit.

I was forced out of my brooding thoughts as Tarquin, Varian, and Cressida appeared on the terrace before me.

"Y/N. You're quite early," noted Tarquin with a smile. "Don't tell me you're that excited to visit the Night Court?"

"I guess I am," I said, plastering a fake-innocent smile on my face. I knew for a fact that it didn't fool any of my companions, but I wasn't expecting it to. Varian smirked and Cressida snickered, while Tarquin just sighed.

"Well, I suppose we'll be alright, whatever you decide to do," he said. "The Night Court delegation came here and stole from us, so if nothing else, we owe them one."

I grinned. That was exactly what I'd been hoping to hear from my High Lord.

Tarquin apparently realized his mistake, because he quickly spoke up again at the look on my face.

"Do keep in mind, Y/N, that we're not trying to do anything other than make friends and peace in the Night Court," he said. I waved him off, but still nodded.

"Yes, yes, I know. Don't worry, I'll walk the line."

Tarquin nodded, apparently satisfied, and held out his hands for the three of us to take. He'd be winnowing all of us into the Night Court himself. Just as we started to disappear from the Summer Court, I added one last comment.

"I have no issues with the Night Court, after all. My only issue is with Cassian."

And in a blink, we were standing in Velaris, the mystical city protected by Rhysand for so many years. We were meeting at Rhysand and Feyre's new home on the banks of the Sidra river, and Tarquin had landed us right on the front porch.

Once we'd successfully winnowed, Tarquin turned to me and gave me a warning look. I just grinned, and as soon as he looked away, Varian and I shared a knowing smile. Nobody was going to stop me from getting a little payback against that Illyrian warrior.

Tarquin raised his hand to knock on the door and announce our arrival, but it swung open before he could make contact. Feyre greeted us with a beaming smile, Rhys right behind her with a smile of his own, although it was more reserved.