Pajamas (Rhysand)

Prompt: "I can't go in there! Are you crazy?" "And why on earth not?" "Look how I'm dressed!" "Darling, you could wear a potato sack and still be the marvel in any room. Now let's go show them, shall we."

Summary: Y/N is all ready for their date night with their mate, Rhys. They've had a long, stressful time, and are going to spend the night relaxing in their pajamas and having the time of their lives. Unfortunately for Y/N, the other High Lords have different plans. They're set on having a meeting, and for some reason, they don't seem to care that Y/N and Rhys have plans for a date.

****************

I stood on the roof of the townhouse in Velaris, head tilted towards the stars as I breathed in the cool night air. Rhysand, my lovely mate, was due to pick me up for a starlight picnic any minute. I'd worn my warmest, fuzziest outfit for a night of stargazing in the countryside. The world around Rhys and I was as crazy as ever, but we made a point of making time to relax with each other, to stay sane if nothing else.

I closed my eyes and took a deep, calming breath. While my eyes were still closed, a wind stirred the roof, and I felt my mate's presence land softly behind me.

"You're late," I said, smiling all the same. I didn't open my eyes. I was still taking in the calming, cool night air around me.

"My most sincere apologies," Rhys purred, closing the distance between us and wrapping his arms around my waist as he pulled me to his chest. "I wish I could make it up to you, but... I actually have some unfortunate news."

I turned in his arms and stared at him with an eyebrow raised, waiting for him to continue.

"You remember all the effort we've been putting into organizing a meeting of all the High Lords?"

"I don't think I like where this is going, Rhys."

"Well, they finally agreed to do one. Now. Here."

"Are you kidding me?" I cried, throwing up my hands in frustration and pushing back a few steps from Rhys. "Why? And what's with the short notice?"

Rhys shrugged, and I could tell he didn't like it any more than I did. Damned High Lords.

"I think they wanted to catch me off guard," he said simply. "We've been trying to convince them of several things about us, our Court, and our city. Maybe they decided to spring a visit on us to see if we were telling the truth."

I scowled and shook my head. Stupid High Lords and their stupid politics. Would it really have killed them to let Rhys and I have one normal, peaceful night?

"Let me change, and then we can go," I finally said. Rhys ruefully shook his head.

"There's no time," he said. "We need to go now."

"Now? Rhys-"

The end of my sentence was cut off as Rhys swooped me into his arms and took off into the sky. I couldn't hold back a shriek at the sudden change in altitude, and I caught my mate with a roguish grin on his face at my surprise.

I smacked him on the arm as payback, but he just laughed.

I glanced towards the House of Wind to see the lights on, and as we got closer I could make out people milling around inside. The other High Lords had never been to the Night Court, and I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that this meeting wouldn't go smoothly.

With Tamlin and Berron in the mix, it never did.

Rhys lightly squeezed my arm and leg where he held me, probably sensing my unease, then dropped down to the balcony. He carefully set me down too, and once I had my feet under me again, I put my hands on my hips and glared at Rhys. I could see the High Lords milling around inside the House, but they hadn't noticed us yet.

"I can't go in there! Are you crazy?" I demanded, trying to keep my voice hushed.

"And why on Earth not?" asked Rhys, his hands in his pockets and his posture relaxed. I scowled.

"Look how I'm dressed!"

"Darling, you could wear a potato sack and still be the marvel in any room." He grinned at me, and my heart raced a little bit. "Now let's go show them, shall we?"

He held out his hand to me, a confident smile on his face. I took a deep breath and focused on straightening my posture, lifting my head, and looking like the High Lady I was.

Finally, I smiled and met Rhys' eyes. I took his hand, and he pulled me a little closer to him.

"Alright fine, smooth talker. You've convinced me. Let's show those bastards what's up."

"Ooh, bastards," said Rhys, raising his eyebrows as I took his arm and we walked side-by-side towards the doors. "Even Kallias? And Helion?"

"When they're interrupting our date night? Hell yes."

Rhys and I reached the doors, and he used a bit of his power to push both doors open in a grand entrance. All the High Lords (and the rest of the Court of Dreams, who were standing in the back) turned to look at us in sync, their expressions ranging from surprise to displeasure when they saw me. In the background, I caught Cassian's eye and he gave me a feral grin.

"Well, if everyone's ready," said Rhys, ignoring the questioning looks on other people's faces. "Let's begin."

The other High Lords kept staring as Rhys and I moved towards the head of the dining table. I could see Berron getting ready to speak up, but Cassian managed to silence him with a threatening glare.

I knew the peace probably wouldn't last the whole evening, but we'd deal with that when it came. Tarquin, Kallias, and Helion had at least transitioned to giving me appreciative glances, so I knew they'd probably back up my decision.

If the High Lords wanted to get an idea of what the Night Court was actually like, then that's exactly what they were going to get. Pajamas and all.