Chapter 3 - Questions with No Answers

Music for this chapter - Show Me What I'm Looking For - Carolina Liar

Chapter 3 - Questions with No Answers.

For the rest of lunch he casually sat there while Jessica, Elle, Heather and Elise fawned over him.  I fought the cringe.  It was disgusting and embarrassing how blatant they were in their efforts to outdo each other for his attention.   He, however, seemed oblivious to them as he calmly ate his five apples.

I occupied myself by doing a detailed examination of the fake wood grain pattern on the table top.  It was safer.  Every time my eyes strayed they found his.  His eyes were cold, hard and loathing.

I frowned at the melamine.  Was I a little over the top with my self defence?  Had I over reacted?  Possibly.  Maybe.  Nah.  It was justified.  Bastard. 

OK so I was immensely miffed about the kissing and touching thing.  No guy had the right to do that without permission.  But I could have easily dropped him to the floor and walked away from him if it was just that.  No, what really justified the ‘brutality’ of my response came down to one simple word, one name, a name that no one had the right to call me, not anymore. 

The question then was how did he know it?  He must have dug deep to find that name.  But he obviously wasn’t too bright.  He should have known, given the depth of his research that calling me by that name would provoke me.   Even in my mind I couldn’t say that name without the tears that always accompanied it.  How?  How did he know that name?  How did he know it yet not know the implications?

The wood grain top started to swirl in patterns.  Damn.   What did it matter anyway?  He would never speak to me again.  I frowned and looked up again and straight into those penetrating eyes.  Damn.

 I picked up my stuff as Jessica started rubbing up against him to get his attention.  Shaking my head I took a deep breath and walked to physics.  This was totally irrational.  I pushed the feelings of annoyance, fury, indignation, and the small spike of pain I felt to the back of my mind.  Wait...?  I wasn’t jealous was I?  No!  No way!  This guy was a jerk.  He was a player.  A serious player.  I wasn’t going to fall for his ‘charms’.  Not me.  I wasn’t naive. 

I wondered what his name was.  My mind went off on a tangent.  It obviously wasn’t ‘Nobody’ that was just a device to piss me off.  But why?  Why did he want to antagonise me?  Why do any of this?  Maybe he was some sort of weirdo.

I spent five minutes trying to remember if I had ever run over a cat, kicked a dog, made someone cry or inadvertently broken a heart.  Nope.  Never.  I was boring.  I lived a boring life.  Same school, same neighbourhood, same friends, no dead animals to revenge, no insensitive deed to right, and no one who ever kissed me like he had kissed me.  Actually, to tell the truth, no boy had ever kissed me.  So that ... hell... that was my first kiss. 

Damn.  My first kiss had been stolen.  No romance, no candles and soft music, no words of devotion, nothing but gentle lips.  At least he didn’t... I blushed as my mind imagined kissing him deeply with our bodies and tongues entwined my hands in his hair...   Damn, stop it Francis King, stop it right now!  My mind was still spinning.  I had to control it.  I had to snap out of this.  This feeling, it was like I was drowning and I didn’t know in which direction to swim.  He kissed me.  Why did he kiss me?  Why did I like it?

I sat in my place at physics.  I pulled my books out and looked at them in confusion.  This wasn’t my book.  This definitely wasn’t my book.  In the first page was written in large black pen ‘D148’ – what the hell did that mean?  Where was my book?