Chapter 9 - Falling

Chapter 9 – Falling

It was morning.   Monday morning.  School.  Damn, not looking forward to that.  I closed my eyes and wondered what Jessica would do to me today.  Whatever she had planned, it wasn’t going to be pleasant.  Joy.

My pillow moved.

I smiled as I lifted my head to watch him in his sleep.  My forehead crinkled as I recognised how relaxed I was waking up in his arms.  This was the third morning.  

He sighed and pulled me closer.  That was expected.  He usually did that as he woke.  Next would be the quick flash of disbelief as he opened his eyes to find me here.  Almost like he considered our short, but eventful, history some sort of dream. 

I watched him.  He had slept better last night.  The nightmare that seemed to plague him didn’t cause him to wake last night.  But then again I had been there, all night.  On Saturday night he had woke me again with his cries.  But this time I didn’t hesitate, I went straight to him and comforted him before he woke in panic.  Then last night I had just followed him to bed.  No words were said I just climbed in with him and nestled into his chest falling asleep to the beat of his heart, wrapped in his arms with his breath in my hair. 

I smiled softly to myself.  He, despite his teasing, had been a perfect gentleman.  His hands traced gentle patterns on my pyjamas, which by the way were much more conservative than our first night together, but never more.  Something deep inside me was disappointed by this but then I would look into his eyes and all my fears would vanish.  His eyes told me all I needed to know.

“Good morning, beautiful,” he kissed my forehead as he breathed deeply. 

I lifted my face to him and his lips found mine.  My fingers wove through his hair as I pulled myself closer to him.  He groaned softly then pulled away from me.

 “Let me guess, School day?” he whispered.  He chuckled as I glanced at the clock, it was telling me what I didn’t want to know.  “Anything to avoid getting out of bed, hey?”

I pouted, just a little, “We could stay home today and...”

“Cissy, I’m not going to School today.”  He was frowning and looked at me seriously, “I have nothing to learn there.  I need to be here.  I can learn more from your internet.”

Damn.  Since Saturday he had been obsessed with learning.  He vacuumed information.  It was unbelievable to watch, I have never seen someone absorb so much in such a short time.  He was more than smart, he was phenomenal. 

“You’re not actually enrolled at School are you?”

“How did you know?”  Then he laughed, “Of course you knew.”

I looked at him confused by this but he just smiled the I-can’t-tell-you smile, it was sad and sort of apologetic. 

“Well then I’m not going either!”

He shook his head, “Rule four – this will not affect your grades.”

“Fine, throw me to the vultures then!”  Pulling away from his arms I swivelled out of bed and stomped off to my bedroom to begin the search for something to wear.

“You are really cute when you are annoyed,” he said softly from where he stood in the door frame.  I angrily turned to find him holding out some clothing.  Snatching it off him, I growled a reluctant ‘thanks’ as I closed the door to his smirking face.

I was grumping at my bowl of cereal when his arm pulling me into his chest.  His lips kissed a path up my neck and he mumbled between each kiss, “They can’t hurt you.  Be proud Cissy.  You have what she wants.  You are the victor not her.”  I turned to look at him confused, he took my face between his hands and spoke softly, “You have me, Cissy, something she clearly wanted but will never have.  So stand tall and don’t let them get to you.”