1

Maggie's apartment was modest, a Brooklyn one bedroom studio that she paid $1,400 a month for, which was an insane steal for the location. Usually her rent came barely on time, but her landlady was surprisingly understanding. The apartment was small and run down and not something she liked to bring a lot of people around to see, but it was home. It could feel cramped, especially with her Bearded Collie, Riley, in the mix, and her kitchen being ten big steps away from her bed, but she didn't mind it. She was just happy to be close to work and in a beautiful bureau.

The nicest thing, she found, was the proximity to her best friend Hanna's apartment, which was just a few blocks away. They could walk to each other whenever they needed to. Granted, walking home alone in Brooklyn at night wasn't the greatest idea, so a lot of nights were spent at each other's place.

Maggie had made herself her usual cheap dinner — spicy chicken ramen and sautéed green beans — and filled up Riley's bowl with his favorite dog food. She called up Hanna to let her know she had found her misplaced Apple Watch as she simultaneously turned on the television.

"Oh, thank God," Hanna breathed in relief through the phone on FaceTime. "I thought I'd left it at Hank's."

Maggie grimaced at the mention of Hank, Hanna's consistent booty call. They don't speak to each other unless it's within the days of Thursday-Saturday and within the hours of 1-4 a.m. "On a Sunday?"

"I'm not proud of it," Hanna responded. Maggie smiled in response.

"Well, yes, it's here if you want to come grab it," Maggie told her. "You can stay for The Bachelor."

"I will be over very soon," Hanna said. Maggie heard rustling in the background as the phone camera stayed on the ceiling, Hanna nowhere in frame. Her voice sounded distant when she spoke again, echoing in her apartment walls. "I'm surprised you're home this early."

"New assignment, new client. Gotta do my research."

"Ah. Yikes."

"No, not yikes. No Cheryl!" Maggie exclaimed.

"No fuckin' way! That's awesome! Okay, wait until I get there and we'll talk then. Be over in fifteen," Hanna responded, and abruptly hung up. Maggie smiled and put away her phone, slurping up a spicy noodle and switching on Family Feud.

*

"So, this new client. Not a senior citizen?" Hanna asked Maggie when the first commercial break had arrived. The two sat comfortably on Maggie's queen bed in front of the television, a couch being a luxury she couldn't quite afford at the moment.

"No. Believe it or not, it's some Wall Street kid. Can't say I'm all that excited." The pages were out of their manila folder, sprawled across her bed in front of her as she diligently tried to peruse during commercial breaks.

"Well if you overlook the misogyny and probable alcoholism and douchey-ness, maybe it won't be that bad," Hanna said with a nonchalant shrug. Maggie nodded in agreement. "Is he cute?"

Maggie chuckled. "Yeah, actually. Hold on, I'll show you the pic Jim gave me."

She handed Hanna the photo that was under a few sheets of background information. Hanna's mouth dropped open and her eyebrows raised. "Oh shit. Definitely not a senior citizen." Maggie shook her head and breathed out a chuckle as she reached next to her bed to grab her glass of red wine from her nightstand. "Not to dog your profession or anything, Mags, but why does a twenty six year old man need a stylist?"