4

Sean's days were usually all the same

Sean's days were usually all the same. He got up, showered, dressed himself, grabbed a granola bar on his way out, and drove to work. When he'd arrive, he'd start by flirting with the married receptionist, go to his dad's office, drink the coffee he brought him, and they'd talk about what was going on in each other's life. Then they'd head to a meeting, and afterwards Sean would talk to his clients until his lunch break. At lunch, he'd grab a bagel from the Einstein Bros. on the corner, eat it in his office, and go back to work.

It was starting to feel like clockwork. Like most people, he longed for the end of the day when he could go over to a friend's and drink a beer. His dad always told him that his unenthusiastic attitude could be felt from a mile away, especially by their clientele. He knew it had to be true, because the only times he would crack a smile in the office were when he'd flirt with the receptionist or if his dad made a joke.

One thing he was actually looking forward to was his date tonight. He was taking out a girl he met through some mutual friends at a party. She was the kind of girl that he would think of when he was jerking off and then would call afterwards. Hot — and maybe a little crazy (he couldn't tell yet) — and able to hold really great conversation.

It was nearing his lunch break, his one little moment of escape, when he started to aimlessly check social media. He first went to Twitter, and when he got bored with that, went to Instagram. As he scrolled he started to think about his date later, and how he didn't know what to wear. Maybe he should ask Maggie. He wanted to. He would, later, during lunch.

Out of curiosity, he looked up Maggie's name on Instagram and found her profile. She was private, so he couldn't check it out. Not that he needed to — he always felt an Instagram stalk, as it were, was a bit invasive. Still, he was curious. She was cute, after all. He chewed on his fingernail a bit, growing more nervous about his date. Or was it something else? He didn't know, but he decided he would call Maggie now, and maybe he could go in and consult with her. It rang a few times before she picked up.

"Maggie, hi," he sat up straight when she answered.

"Hey, Sean," she responded. "What's up? Wait, shit, were we supposed to meet today?"

"No, no. Well — no we weren't," he paused a brief moment when he realized he was talking too fast. "But...okay, so, I have a date later."

"Okay," she spoke a bit slowly, probably wondering what the reason he called was. "That's exciting."

"I don't, um, well—" he stumbled a bit. He sounded so dumb. He could easily just have pulled out some khakis and a nicer shirt, but now he's called her and has to explain himself. "Can you help me in any way?"

The line was silent for a second. "Like, help you pick out an outfit?"

"Yeah, yes," he responded, his hand rubbing his eyes. His could feel his cheeks flaring a bright red glow. "Sorry. I drank a lot of coffee this morning. Please."