Chapter IX

"It's a long way to morning."

Superman still couldn't believe how quickly everything had gone downhill. Just a few hours ago, everything had been fine. He had been getting along with Lois and Richard, and Jason had even approached him. He had been starting to feel like part of the family. Sure, they had some problems to work out, but what family didn't? Everything was going well... until he accidentally set the sun lamp on fire, possibly destroying his chances of making it to sunrise.

It was three in the morning. He didn't know how he was going to last long enough to see the sunrise. His back was hurting and he knew it was only the beginning. Eventually, the pain would get worse, his skin would get cold, his chest would feel constricted, and... he didn't want to think about the rest of the symptoms which he had experienced in the afternoon, and what they almost led to. He couldn't imagine never seeing another beautiful sunrise, flying above the clouds, soaking in the sun's rays... He couldn't imagine it all coming to an end. This is not happening. I must still be dreaming. It can't end like this!

"Superman?"

If Richard had been talking to him, he hadn't been listening. He must've spaced off for a minute there, worried about how he was going to spend the next few hours. "Sorry, I was... just thinking." He left the guest bed painfully, holding his aching side. "I... I need to get my mind off this. The more I think about it, the worse it'll be."

"I can imagine..." Richard didn't know what to do to help him. All he could think of was waking up the expert. "You know, Lois would probably think of something."

"No!" he said a little too quickly, then calmed down, "No, just... let her sleep. Please. I don't want to worry her so soon." And I don't want her driving me to the hospital... God, anything but that!

"Still, think about your... condition."

Superman stared at him for a moment, then shook his head and made his way out of the guest room. He didn't understand what Richard meant by 'condition' and he didn't think he wanted to know. He was more worried about how to get his mind off his impending doom anyway. He took a deep breath and let it out, then glanced at the TV in the living room. "Is there anything good on?"

"Yeah, if you're into reruns and infomercials..."

"I've been gone for five years. They're not reruns to me."

So, he went to sit down on the couch in front of the TV. He sat on one side of the couch while Richard sat on the other, as far away from each other as possible. They both simultaneously reached for the remote, gave each other weird looks, and Richard moved away and let him have it... because you don't ever deny Superman the remote control.

There was complete silence except for the noise coming from the TV. Richard just felt so awkward sitting next to Superman and he still didn't know how to behave around him. Finally, Richard decided that they couldn't spend the rest of the night like this and that somebody had to break the ice. "So, as long as I have you here... Mind if I ask you a question?"

"Go ahead," said Superman, planting his elbow on the arm rest and his hand on his cheek, continuing to go through the channels. So many channels and nothing to watch...

There was something that Richard had been wondering about since late afternoon, but he didn't know if it was appropriate to ask. But he needed to know and, hopefully, Superman wouldn't go chasing after him in anger once he got his powers back. "Now, I don't want you to think that I mind, because I don't... but, I gotta know..." Superman just looked at him expectantly, and Richard finally decided to just blurt it out. "Why are you wearing my shirt?"