Merlin's Gold - Chapter 5 - Exeter Cathedral

Chapter 5 – Exeter Cathedral

Grayle knelt in the shelter of the great north transept of Exeter Cathedral, his head lowered in silent prayer. The first sight of the vaulted ceiling of the completed section of the building had left him awestruck, even though the Cathedral was only partially complete. The nave, where he knelt, was still bare of tapestries and paintings that would one day adorn its walls, but the sheer architectural splendour had had a massive impact on the trainee knight.

As he finished his prayer, he sat back on one of the rough wooden pews, and drank in the sight of the sun streaming in through the giant stained glass window. The gentling evening light projected onto his face in a myriad of rainbow colours as the sun went down, the natural orange light filtered and changed, cascading around him like a waterfall.

"God's work is magnificent indeed isn't it my son? It's a beautiful evening."

The softly spoken words jolted Grayle from his reverie, and he started to rise from his seat. A strong hand on his shoulder kept him seated, and he looked up into the dark eyes of a large man in full church finery. He made to sink to his knees but was again restrained by the firm hand on his shoulder.

"There is no need to kneel before me as there is no one here but us. But I would like to join you if I may. You seem to have chosen the best seat in the house."

Grayle nodded mutely as the Bishop of Exeter sat next to him, his eyes intent on the sunset.

"It will take us many years to finish," he said eventually. "But I think it will be worth it."

He proferred his hand and looked at Grayle. "David," he introduced himself. "And you are?"

"Grayle. Grandson of King Mark of Tintagel, I'm honoured to meet you, Your Grace." he replied formally.

"Ah, I wondered from your dress whom you might be. You are obviously the scion of a well to do house, and yet you do not carry arms. You are a knight in training perhaps?"

"Yes, Your..." Grayle paused as the Bishop waved an admonishing finger, the large man grinning broadly at him.

"Um... David," he continued. "As the guards explained at the gate, I am not allowed to bear arms within the city walls until I have completed my training. Until then, I obey the rules along with all other visitors. I hope to be presented formally to King Arthur soon though when my father deems me ready."

"But..." added David looking into his eyes.

Grayle looked startled, the unbidden 'but' always hovering forever silent on his lips, and then impulsively decided to trust the man. "I just wish sometimes I could train, and serve God."

Grayle cast his eyes to the floor. It was not something he had admitted to Percival or Mark, for fear of offending or upsetting them. As eventual heir to the Cornish throne, he would be expected to become ruler of the Kingdom of Kernow at some point in the future.

"You can serve the Lord in many ways, my son," stated David quietly. "Sometimes we have to fight for what we believe in, and even stoop to using the weapons of evil to do so. As long as you hold God in your heart and fight for good, I believe you will serve him well.

"Something to think on perhaps. Now, my young friend, would you do an old fat man a favour and escort me home? We seem to be losing the last remaining light."

David rose from his seat, lifting his staff of office from beside him where he had leant it against the pew. "My quarters are on the other side of the square, and I believe we are expected by your father and grandfather, who have kindly agreed to meet with me."