EIGHT

❣︎

another day of school, everyday it gets less bearable. the only thing that keeps me going is ruben and the fact that i get to go to motorz everyday after school.

usually, ruben and i would leave at the same time to get to school or he'd at least come up to me when i'm at my locker if we don't leave at the same time. today, however, i didn't see him anywhere. even once i sat down in the classroom for first period, he still hadn't shown up.

he could've slept in, or maybe he woke up sick because of the rainstorm we got caught in yesterday? i was zoning out in class as i thought of excuses for him, when someone came through the door of the classroom. i looked up to see ruben, as sweaty as ever, along with a faint black eye and a busted lip. my eyebrows furrowed as i looked at him in concern.

he handed the teacher a tardy slip, excusing himself and then coming to his seat. he sat two seats to my right. i tried to lean forward and get his attention, but he kept a hard face as he melted into his seat. the rest of the class, he didn't say a word, i could tell something was wrong.

"ruben," i got a hold of his arm as he walked out of the classroom. pulling him to the side as everyone walked out, i asked him,
"what happened to you, are you alright?"
he shook his arm out of my grip, making a face.
"yeah, yeah. i'm fine, don't worry about it," he said as he began to walk away. i frowned as i let him walk away, i didn't want to ask him any more questions in case it pisses him off.

he didn't talk the rest of the day. eventually, school ended and i waited for him outside the school.
"hey, ruby," i said as i followed behind him, he was nearly speed walking out of school. he glanced at me.
"hey," he said, the lack of emotion in his voice made me worry.
"hey, are you sure you're alright," i asked.
"yeah, i'm fine. i already told you this," he said, his voice sounded tired.

"okay... i won't ask anymore questions. if there's something on your mind, though, just know you can talk to me," i said, my hand softly touching his back. he nodded, smirking as he turned his head to look at me.
"i know, salem. don't worry about me," he said as he wrapped an arm around my shoulders. i smiled, seems like he's back to normal now.

ruben's pov

as much as i felt like yelling at someone, seeing her face made me feel somewhat calm. i don't think i could ever bring myself to doing something like that to her, i don't think i'd ever forgive myself if i did.

this morning, i woke up to my mom throwing a fit over nothing, again. she always does this when she's fucked up, it's so fucking annoying. i decided to stand up to her for once, defending my little sister, as well. she clearly didn't take that well, and it was such a waste of time.

i wonder if salem knows about my shitty home life. we are neighbors, and my mom's always yelling over some bullshit (when she's actually home, at least).

salem's pov

"what's with the face, ruben," ray said when their attention turned to us walking in. ruben rolled his eyes as he sat down on a stool behind the counter.
"yeah, you had to throw hands today or sum," fuckshit asked.
"nah, it's whatever, forget about it," ruben said, a scowl on his face.

"salem, you know what happened to him," ray asked me, i glanced at ruben before shaking my head.
"i said forget about it, fuck!" ruben nearly shouted, pushing himself off the stool as he stomped out the backdoor of the shop. i looked at the door, a little shocked to say the least. i had no idea why he was so angry, and i wanted to know who the fuck hurt him.

"whats got that n****s panties in a fuckin twist," said fuckshit as he brought the beer bottle in his left hand back up to his lips.
"just leave him alone for a minute, you know how his temper is," ray said, getting a slight nod from sunburn and fourthgrade.

i've never seen ruben be anything but happy or bored, i've never seen him as angry as he was today. i know his home life isn't great, i hear his mom yelling at him and his sister all the time. i wonder if this has to do with that. it wasn't uncommon for him to always be leaving his house with bruises. i mean, maybe his mom did that to him, who knows.

ruben's pov

after screaming my lungs out for a bit, i settled down, sitting against the concrete wall of the store. tears still streamed down my face, i didn't sob or anything but they just didn't seem to stop.

all of a sudden, i heard the back door open. i quickly reached my hands up and wiped as many tears as i could, flinching and cussing under my breath when i accidentally rubbed against the injured black eye.

i looked to my side, seeing salem's shoes stop right next to me. i looked forward again as my cheeks became flustered, i was embarrassed that she'd be seeing me like this. she probably thinks i'm some freak with anger issues, now. she sat next to me. silence lingered between us, as well as tension. i could tell she wanted to speak, but she didn't know what to say.

"what's wrong, ruben," she asked, her voice soft and laced with genuine concern. i sighed, wanting so badly to open up to her. but something kept stopping me. i was embarrassed, i guess.
"i'm fine, stop asking that shit," i said, beginning to stand up and avoid the conversation she wanted to have.
"stop fucking saying that. i already told you that you can talk to me about anything. cmon, you know i wouldn't judge you over things like this," she raised her voice as she got up with me.

"salem- y-you really wouldn't understand-"
"what wouldn't i understand, ruben?" she lowered her own voice, coming closer to me and putting her hands on my cheeks. i wasn't used to the feeling, her soft hands on my cheeks made me blush like crazy. maybe i'm just touch starved, and i could really use a hug right now. my eyes softened and my breathing labored, her thumb rubbed my cheek softly. my eyes began to well up as i stared into hers.
"please... trust me, ruby," she nearly whispered.

my lip quivered as i shook my head.
"she hit me, salem," i said through gritted teeth, pain written all over both our faces.
"who hit you, ruben?"
"m-my mom. she fucking hit me," i let my voice break, hot tears falling down my face. she pulled me down by my neck, i let myself melt into her warm arms. i sobbed into her shoulder as i held onto her waist as if my life depended on it. crinkling her shirt between my fingers, i let out everything i had left inside of me.

salem's pov

our bodies shook with every sob, i held him as tightly as i could. it hurt so much to know that he had to go through all of this alone, everyday. i can't imagine how relieving it must be to have someone to talk to.
"it's okay, baby, it's okay," i cooed as he let out whimpers and sobs, rubbing his back in a comforting way. his arms around my waist made butterflies flutter in my stomach, despite how upset i was. i never wanted to let him go, i want to be able to protect him whenever he needs it, i wish he knew how much i adored him.

eventually, he let me go once his breathing labored and his sobs quieted down.
"sorry i used your shirt as a tissue," he broke the silence as he giggled, making me smile in return. seeing him smile after such a rough day felt really good. our faces stayed close as i softly rubbed his shoulders, letting him calm down before asking,
"do you feel better?"

"yeah, thanks for that by the way," he said, clearing his throat.
"for what," i asked, tilting my head a bit.
"for... everything, man. just- thanks for being salem," he said, making me giggle.
"cmon, let's go inside. fuckshit's gonna take us to the courthouse..."

❣︎

______