Nick & Nora/Sid & Nancy pt. 2

Sitting at the counter, eating a caesar salad and listening to her sad music, Daphne sulked about her new domestic lifestyle. It was boring really, but it wasn't like the rest of the town was going to be much better than the crummy diner she resided in. One school in the entire town, and Daphne guaranteed most people had known each other since kindergarten. One post office, one movie theater, one everything. The connections were so knit-tight in Stars Hollow, that even trying to fit in would be futile.

     She ate slowly as Luke continued running the diner, asking every once in a while if she needed something else, which she denied each time. Thinking about her friends made Daphne get teary eyed, but she would quickly brush them away as soon as they formed. Crying in her uncle's diner two hours after arriving wasn't on Daphne's to-do list.

     Eventually, after the lunch rush, a woman in her thirties came into the store, said something to Luke, startling him, spilling a pot of coffee on the counter. Daphne glanced his way before turning back to her half eaten salad, picking at it with her fork. I want to go home, Daphne thought sadly.

     Luke tapped Daphne's shoulder, and nodded his head towards the woman. Daphne took her headphones off warily, not in the mood to play nice with her uncle's girlfriend— or whatever she was. Looking her up and down, Daphne saw she was around Luke's age, very pretty, and seemed to have a great desire to meet her. Daphne gave a blank stare, waiting for them to start the conversation, not at all matching the large grin the woman had on her face.

     "Lorelai, this is Daphne, my niece. Daphne, this is Lorelai," Luke introduced.

     "Hey," Daphne said shortly.

     "I just wanted to say hi, and to welcome you to our famous Stars Hollow." Lorelai had a certain charm to her character that made Daphne want to laugh and simultaneously roll her eyes. She had crisp blue eyes, deep black hair, and a contrasting pale complexion. She honestly reminded Daphne of Snow White.

     The way she and Luke looked at each other didn't make it very hard to guess that they were definitely (or at least wanted to be) together. Maybe they were friends with benefits instead, who knows?

     "Yeah, it looks like a real blast," Daphne answered sarcastically. "All those porcelain unicorn stores definitely give this town character."

     The bell on the door rang, Jess entered the diner with a deep scowl etched onto his face and a book in his hand. Luke and Lorelai turned to him, and began the process of introducing her all over again.

     Taking this opportunity to sneak away, Daphne tip toed behind Luke and up the stairs to the apartment, where she stayed for the rest of the day, talking on the phone with her oldest friend April.

     "You should see it," Daphne complained. "It feels like the town's got one big secret. Like they all covered up a murder, and any new person who shows up is watched by everyone to make sure not to bring them to justice. It's creepy."

     "It can't be all bad. Do you at least like your uncle?"

     Daphne inhaled, thinking of an answer for April. "Well, I don't hate him."

     April laughed. "That's the spirit."

     "I miss you," Daphne sighed.

     "I miss you too, Daph."

     Jess suddenly came up too, sat on his own air mattress covered with his junk, and began fooling around with a deck of cards. He put a cigarette in his mouth, not caring about how Luke might react to it. Well, Liz didn't have a problem with his smoking.