▷ 1. CHOOSE CAREFULLY

Students swarmed in front of the entrance, and one girl sprawled on the concrete floor with her head nested in a bush. 

Two guys dashed by the car window and barked at the third one—in the literal sense. Camilla retreated from the window glass, curled into a ball, and merged with the car seat. Looking outside was a mistake.

"Maybe . . . I-I could skip the first day in the new school, if possible." Her voice trembled.

"No way, dearie!" Mom gave her a light pat on the shoulder. "Sweetie, trust me, you'll fit right in."

Camilla shook her head and sunk deeper into the seat. No, they'll think of me as a stuck-up A+ student, or worse . . . too exemplary. Tingles meandered down her neck, and she inhaled a deep, heavy breath. The stale car air churned down her throat.

Mom leaned and stretched her lips into a smile that almost jumped off her face. "Alright, dearie, I'll give you a few minutes. Come out when you're ready!"

"S-sure." Camilla pressed her knees closer to her chest, then peeked through the window again. 

The three-story brick building easily towered over her previous school. One step in, and she'd be swallowed by its mere presence, no doubt. Close to the door, two more students joined the head in the bush ritual.

"It's a big school, isn't it?" Mom said. "But anyway, I know you'll do great. No one will even mention your looks."

"I doubt that," Camilla whispered.

Her long, almost white hair, pale skin, and pink eyes always stuck out. Although her favorite style, pastel-colored clothing attracted unwanted attention. She forced herself upright and smoothed out her skirt. You can do this, step by step. She finally reached for the car door handle.

"Chamomile, good luck!"

"Ha ha, thank you." Camilla quivered, opened the door, and staggered out.

At first glance, Denel High resembled any other school, although it was far from it based on rumors on the school forum and on what she witnessed already. Several groups of students gathered in front of the large door, and Camilla imagined them as grey creatures who either gossiped about her or considered her stuck-up, boring—or both.

 Several groups of students gathered in front of the large door, and Camilla imagined them as grey creatures who either gossiped about her or considered her stuck-up, boring—or both

She entered the building and found herself amid an organized labyrinth. Inside the structure, wide corridors shot off in several directions. Blue lockers lined up along the left side, which extended as if there was no end to them. More students crowded in the school area than in front of the entrance.

Just don't look at them. Don't attract any attention, and you'll be fine. She firmed the grip on her school bag and checked name tags on the lockers one by one. 

She found hers and opened it carefully.

A girl jumped out. "Baaah! Welcome!"

Camilla shrieked, and the girl burst into laughter.