62: A Grim Retreat

Spike, Toothless and Stormfly landed in what appeared to be a workshop of our friends making Gronckle Iron.

"Uh, Hiccup? I think Meatlug might be ready for a break." Fishlegs told him as we dismounted. "She's starting to lose her gag reflex."

"Guess the perfect little machine isn't so perfect, after all." Snotlout teased, clearly not paying attention to his own dragon.

"Have you checked your dragon?" Fishlegs asked him and eyes Hookfang. "The giant oven doesn't look too perky, either."

"Huh?" Snotlout hummed and looked over to his dragon is time to watch him collapse. Crashing to the ground and blowing out a waste of fire that hit Barf & Belch, making them freak out and charge at Stormfly. She, of course, started freaking out and ended up hanging the twins to a tree with her spines.

"Uh, what?" Tuff asked as he was now upside down and hanging from a tree.

Toothless roared, trying to break them up but accidentally stepped on Spike's tail. Making the albino bare his teeth and roar, then tackle the Night Fury and start a fight. They rolled into Stormfly, knocking her over and making her fall on top of Meatlug, who fell on Barf & Belch. Barf deflating and spewing gas everywhere, Belch accidentally sparking it and when the smoke dispersed, we all had black sooty dragons.

"Wow," I said. "That was impressive."

Toothless roared weakly as he was at the bottom of the dogpile and looked to his rider.

"Really? You too, bud?" Hiccup said exasperatedly. "All right, that's it! Dragons, to your corners!"

"Hey, Hiccup." Tuff called from the tree. "Did you know that upside-down you actually have a metal arm instead of a metal leg?"

"What is going on around here?" Hiccup snapped. He'd been reeeeaaallly on edge since the whole me almost dying again /Viggo escaping incident.

"Hiccup, we've been working really hard on these reinforcement walls." I told him gently. "Everyone is just tired. Look at the dragons."

Hookfang conveniently coughed out a cloud of black smoke.

"You know, Hookfang and I could really use a vacay." Snotlout told him.

"Vacation?" Tuff repeated. "Count us in. We'll grab our straw helmets and a chilling tale of Viking murder to read on some enchanted beach, laughing as the waves crash against us."

"And we can surf on Seashockers!" I gasped at my amazing idea.

"Guys, I get that you're all tired, but remember why we're doing this." Hiccup said, frustrated but not having snapped... yet.

"Oh, because you told us to." Snotlout replied.

"No, because Viggo is out there. And when he finally realizes he can't use the Dragon Eye without the key, he's gonna come looking for it. We can't leave the Edge unguarded again." Hiccup said, snapping.

"So, yay or nay on the vacay?" Ruff asked.

"Oh, gods..." Hiccup sighed and then walked off.

As soon as he was out of earshot, everyone turned and stared at me desperately.

"Okay, okay. I'll talk to him." I said and put my hands up in defence. "I'll talk to him."

* * *

"Working on your map, huh?" I said awkwardly and walked up to Hiccup outside hit hut. "Need any help?"

"No, thanks, I'm kind of -" He looked up at me and immediately knew I was up to something. "What do you want?"