JAKE

We pulled into the uneven parking lot just in time. Narrowly avoiding several rocks sticking out of the dusty, red dirt ground. The sign hanging above a plain, one story building was crooked, painted white letters reading: Kona Valley Excursions. At least we knew we were in the right place.

    More importantly, however....

    SHE DIDN'T HAVE A BOYFRIEND!

    She didn't have a boyfriend. She didn't have a boyfriend. She didn't have a boyfriend.

    I had had to keep my explosive elation in check when she'd said those words. I think I did a pretty good job...mostly.

    Sophia was not dating the stupid blond guy on her lock screen. He had his arm around her, but she was not dating him. He was not her boyfriend.

    Neither are you, you giant oaf.

    That was besides the point! I had a chance now. A real chance.

    Thank god. For a moment, when I'd seen that name flash across her phone screen, Tommy Larsen, I'd thought that was the end. Tommy Larsen.

    What a stupid name.

    Tommy Larsen.

    I bet that was the stupid blond guy. He looked like a Tommy Larsen.

    Was I being spiteful? Yes.

    Did he deserve it? Probably not

    Was I going to continue doing it because I was insanely jealous of him? Undoubtedly.

    I turned the key, sliding it out of the ignition, "We made it."

    Beside me, Sophia's knee jiggled up and down, her teeth digging into her lower lip with ferocity. Stop looking at her lips, Jake. The anxiety was plain on her features, fingers drumming on the upholstered seat. She hadn't touched her bagel. I'd sensed a change in her mood when she'd wanted me  to drive, but I'd managed to keep her distracted for most of the trip.

    That is, until we started nearing the excursion place. The closer we got, the more her knee moved. I wondered what she was nervous about. Well— I had some idea. She didn't really strike me as the type of person to work at a job such as this one. It seemed more her sister's speed.

    I wanted to help her. I was trying to help her. Talking to her had proved effective for the most part.

    What I really wanted was to take her hands and mine and hold them until they stilled. To place a calming hand on her thigh and let her lean her head on my shoulder. Fuck, I was so utterly and completely screwed.

    A whole summer.

    I had the whole summer.

    I hopped out of the vehicle, shutting the door soundly. Sophia's car door was open, but she sat planted in her seat.

    "Sophia?" I ventured, coming around to her side.

    "Hey," she said, unmoving.

    "You okay?"

    Sophia nodded, "Fine. Fine." She tucked her hair behind her ears, then untucked it. There it was again. "Fine."

    I peered at her closely, my words wry, "You realize the more you say fine, the less I believe you. Right?"

    The icy blue stare she gave me after that comment could have withered plants. It was sort of hot. Fine. It was really hot. Which I suppose was a bit of an oxymoron, if you thought about it. Seeing as I'd just described her stare as "icy".