The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Searon pushed everybody to their limits, even himself. Everyone followed him without question, even those that were in doubts only days before. There wasn't anyone who wasn't growing weary, but they all kept their mouths shut. They knew that it was more important to reach the city in time. Many of those men were kin to those in the cities and villages of the south. The rest had already developed friendships with those of the south and were welcoming them to their homes and pubs for feasts in the north after destroying draeyks.

Most of their journey was silent because using breath would be using too much energy that could better be conserved for travel. Searon had a hard time staying behind with his men when he had Stripes that could gallop faster than any of the men could run. He knew it would be a foolish act because he wouldn't be able to fight an entire army by himself, no matter how much he wanted to. Even with Starlyn keeping his pace – the two of them were still no match. Searon did ride ahead with Karceoles and Starlyn by his side. Many of the human captains weren't far behind on their own horses as well as a few thousand cavalry.

It was impressive to say the least at the progress of the men on foot. None of them seemed to take breaks but continued walking throughout. Many had canteens and dried meat in their packs that they used while they marched. They knew it was their duty to protect the people of Calthoria and wouldn't give up hope due to tiredness. Searon was quite proud of the effort and continued to push them.

What should have taken the army two weeks by foot ended up only taking just over a week. Searon and Karceoles had made it to Legain in little over a week by horse, and yet they took several breaks between. There was no time for such luxuries on the second journey. He wasn't sure if his homeland was already being attacked or if the raids had just begun. Nothing was clear in the scouts' words other than before he could reach the cities he would be intercepted by the creatures. Either way, Searon knew that he was going to be late to come to his brother's aid. During the travel, the ravens had come with letter after letter of assistance needed near Legain. Searon cursed his luck as he read each one.

The weather became hotter the farther south they traveled. It didn't seem as hot the last time Searon passed through, but water scattered the ground in a fresh rain that seemed to bake in the sunlight. The humidity was nearly unbearable as it caked his skin in pounds of water that soaked into his cloth riding gear. He felt suffocated in a mask of a blanket that wrapped around, him yet no matter what he would do, it would never tear off.

He had taken his armor off the instant the heat rose from the morning and attached it to his saddlebags. There was little doubt in his mind that with his armor still on he would have been baked to the back of his horse like a fried egg. The heat didn't slow him or his men, though, as they trudged through the unbearable heat and rough terrain.

Birds seemed to keep a constant chirp around him that was very different from the birds around the kheshlarn capital of Sudegam. Instead of being in chorus with each other with soothing melodies, they seemed to be in competition to see who the best singer was. It was still soothing to Searon's ears as he'd rather hear that than silence. The sound of birdsongs gave him enough inspiration to continue on without giving up. Even some crickets began chirping, which added a more soothing effect.

Only when Searon danced his head around to the beats of the animals did he realize the effect was making him tired. Without but a few minutes of sleep here and there while being on top of his horse, he was growing weary. He turned to his side and noticed the wizard puffing on his long-stem pipe. Searon cursed as he forgot where he had hid his own pipe and nudged his stallion toward the wizard's horse. Without speaking to Karceoles, he snatched the pipe out of his hand and began puffing.