My First Robot

Advanced Robots had been created a few years ago, they looked exactly like humans and almost behaved the same. They were like ones from movies, except they weren't evil.

There had been very basic robots in the early 2000s, and slightly more advanced ones had been created in 2050, which was ten years ago. The more advanced ones, who could actually carry a conversation, had only been made four years ago.

I could've bought one last year, but I'd heard about a newer model coming out, so I'd saved up for it. All my life, I'd been dreaming of buying my very own robot. I'd watched I, Robot as a child and wanted one like Sonny. In later years, I'd read the robot books by Isaac Asimov and loved them.

Unfortunately, I hadn't been able to afford to buy a robot until last year. They were extremely expensive, but I'd managed to save enough money.

I left my house and the sun was shining as brightly as ever; it definitely matched my mood today. We didn't see much sun in Northern Ireland, so it was a great change from the usual dull, rainy days.

My heart was racing, it would be great to finally have a robot. She would be my best friend, we'd play video games together and watch movies and shows. She would never judge me or leave me either, and she wouldn't die because robots were easy to repair. My robot was going to be my best friend for life, even when newer models came out — I'd keep all the robots I bought, just like I had kept all the video games from my childhood.

I'd watched so many videos of the new models interacting with people, and it was amazing, you could barely tell that they weren't actual humans. They seemed to have a lot more personality than the older robots as well. They could eat, simulate breathing and a heartbeat, which the previous robots were unable to do. Robots didn't actually need to eat food, but it helped them fit in.

After a while, I got to the shop and went inside; there were robots standing all around. It was really cool and they were fascinating. There were Male and female robots — some had white skin, others had black and some were tanned. It seemed like most, or all races were represented, which was great. It'd be hard to pick which one I wanted, since all the female robots were friendly looking.

I looked at one of the female robots who looked quite similar to me — she had the same long blonde hair as me, her lips were small and thin like mine and her skin was a very pale white, like mine. Although, her nose was a lot bigger than my cute small one. All of the robots were slim or muscular, this one was slim, as was I.

A thin, young man with spiked up black hair walked over to me. He had extremely pale white skin, and he was wearing a long grey jacket, which had luminous blue lights around the collar and jacket sleeves.

“How can I help?” He asked.

“I want an AR55X. Uh, I think that's the name of the new model.”

“It is, there's only one left here. You're in luck.”

My eyes widened, “Oh, I hadn't realised how many people would be getting them.”

Thank God, I'd been in time to get the last one. I would've hated travelling for about an hour to get into Belfast, only to be told there were no robots left.

“Loads of people want the newest models as soon as they're out.”

They'd probably order in more of the new models soon, but they could take a few weeks to arrive. It was good that I wouldn't have to wait that long, I'd get mine now. Less and less people would want the older models soon. What would happen to their old models, then? Would they just be thrown away, or would they be donated to other people? It was sad thinking of robots being discarded even though they were working just fine.