Meeting Jason

“Right, I should probably show you around,” I said.

“Yes, that would be most helpful,” Jason replied and nodded.

The word robot, which had been shining from his chest, was now gone because we weren't in public anymore. He could definitely pass for a human now.

I went around my house, showing him the different rooms. “If you need help finding anything, I'm happy to help,” I said.

Sometimes, when I went to someone's home for the first time, I ended up forgetting where things were. It might be the same for Jason.

“Thank you, but I'll be fine. The different rooms in the house have been stored, I won't forget where everything is.”

“Oh, that's good,” I replied with a smile.

We went back into the living room; the floors were wooden and light brown, there was a TV opposite the red sofa, with a few red chairs around the room.

“Your house is beautiful, I really like all the paintings that you have.”

“Thank you.”

I went and sat on the sofa, and Jason sat beside me. Jason looked very human, but did he feel like a human, or was his skin plasticky?

“Sorry, this is going to sound really weird. But, can I see what you feel like?”

“Go ahead.”

I reached my hand out tentatively and put it over Jason's hand. It was warm, which surprised me, and felt just like a normal hand.

“Wow, your hand is actually warm,” I said.

“Yes, I have temperature control. It's to make me fit in with regular people. Some people didn't like how cold robots were, so temperature control was designed into my model.”

“What's your skin made out of?”

“It's human skin,” Jason replied, making my eyes widen. “Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. It's put on every AR55X model, and cloned from humans, then put over our metal.”

“Oh, that's not so bad. You made it sound like some serial killer shit, where they peel off people's skin.”

“No, that is not the case.” He shook his head. “My body simulates breathing and a heartbeat, as well as temperature regulation.”

“Oh, can I listen to it?”

“Of course, but you don't have to ask. I'm here to please and serve,” Jason replied.

“Eh, I'd feel weird if I didn't ask. It's always better to have someone's permission to do stuff, especially when it's something out of the ordinary.”

It would feel awkward to just put my head against Jason's chest without permission, even if he was a robot, who'd be fine with it. I leaned over and placed my head against his chest, and heat radiated from it. I could feel Jason's chest rising then falling, and there was the faint sound of heartbeat — just like a human.

“Holy shit! That's incredible!” I exclaimed and sat up straight again.

“Thank you.” He chuckled.

“So, you can make yourself cold?”

“I can, but I had assumed you'd want me to remain at my current temperature.”

“Yeah, I do. But, it's funny. It reminds me of Twilight, cause Edward is a vampire who's like freezing cold, while Jacob is a werewolf who's always really warm. I used to joke that Edward would be good in the summer because it's roasting, and Jacob would be good in the winter when it's freezing.” I smiled.