More than a Game

The city of Co, on Crele island, was the perfect place.

Co was where they had both admitted to loving each other. At least, the first time they had both been sober for the conversation. It was also the only place they could find Crelan tattoo artists. And Crelans, with their 'things happen at sea' mentality, weren't likely to ask many questions.

The first evening in Co, Tanden gave everyone leave while Soren quietly asked some of their friends to stay behind. They had been out all day with no explanation, but returned with matching white bandages around their right wrists. The crew knew better than to ask, and cheerfully took their money before heading out into the city.

Tanden gathered their friends in the captain's quarters. The room showed off the adventures they had been on together. Tanden had pinned his worn-out map of Tallen Tiya in place on his large wall map. The scale didn't match up perfectly, but the addition was nice. Beside the Morcean Yusa'n katiri masks, Tanden had hung up the painted wooden disk from Reng Runolorinn and Orearaley. The narrow table in front of the map held more treasures—the intricate Wanderlust model Soren had bought in Crele, a glass jar filled with various types of coins, Ruro's wooden bear, and a box painted with the West Draulin crest where Tanden kept all the letters he exchanged with his family.

On the other side of the room, an odd assortment of clothing hung on hooks. His and Soren's furry Tallenese coats, the lacy blue tunics they had worn to the Yusa'n katiri and the formal clothes they had been given in Esler Tigo. Tanden's long blue cloak was unceremoniously tossed over a crate and covered in cat hair. Journey had decided it was the perfect place to sleep, and she stared down at Tanden from her lofty perch.

Tanden turned his attention to his friends. They were sitting around a table he had cleared off for the occasion. Ivern, Roan, Jerios, Jale and Ara. Tanden almost laughed to himself when he realized that his friends were as varied as the treasures he had decorated the room with. Teltan, Crelan, Deoran, Tallenese and Morcean. But it wasn't only their nationalities that were varied, it was their drinks.

Roan was drinking ale, as he often did. Jerios had a small bottle of ovaisi, a traditional Deoran and Navirian drink, which he had apparently stocked up on when he'd briefly been left in charge of the Wanderlust in Hoask. Ivern had really taken to irdka, and was pouring two glasses for himself and Jale. Ara was holding a delicate glass of kalay, which suited him.

Tanden was standing at the head of the table with two glasses of wine. When Soren stepped up beside him, Tanden handed him one of the glasses. Then he cleared his throat to draw attention. He was nervous, but not nearly as nervous as he was for what he had planned to happen later in the evening. This part of the day was easy.

The group fell silent.

"Soren and I have an announcement," Tanden said. "I'm sure you've all guessed, but it still felt right to officially confirm that yes, we've gotten matching tattoos."

Jale laughed. Months of being a sailor, and privately she still treated him exactly like she had on the Wayfarer. Tanden didn't mind at all. "Yes, the whole crew guessed that. But does it mean what we think it means?"

Tanden shrugged. "More or less. Getting officially... married doesn't really appeal to either of us. Not to mention that it's actually not allowed in either of our cultures. I know that doesn't sound like something that would stop me, but..."

"We know, and that's what matters," Soren said. "We know, and now all of you know. Before long the crew will figure it out, if they haven't already. But it doesn't change anything. Not that..." he paused thoughtfully. "Not that it isn't important. We were partners before and we're partners now. We've just... reckon we've made it a little more official."