Bonus - Motal

Less than a year before Wanderlust

Motal enjoyed visiting Zianna. Aside for Co, where he had been born, it was probably one his favourite cities. Oh, all the big port cities had good taverns and brothels for sailors to visit while on leave, but Zianna's were simply better. The divide between the poorer and richer sections of the city was more maintained than in other cities, which resulted in the taverns and brothels being fairly cheap. The one downside was Zianna's higher number of pickpockets, but they could be avoided easily enough.

Whenever he went into Zianna, Motal wore his money on a pouch around his neck. It was safer than keeping it in a pocket. He was just tucking the pouch under his tunic when a handful of other sailors joined him near the gangway.

"Motal, first leave you've had in a while, there, mate. Aye?" Wolkar asked, grinning. Everyone knew Motal had been contained to the ship for the last few stops. An unfair punishment for returning late after his time off in Co. Motal hadn't even been the only man who was late, he just happened to the be the one the captain had seen.

Motal elbowed his friend. "Reckon you'n the lads all owe me, given how I took the fall'n all, aye?"

"I'll buy you a drink, mate," Wolkar replied. "Or maybe more than one." He shoved Motal's shoulder, then stepped up onto the gangway to climb down to the dock.

Motal followed him. The dock was crowded and busy, as all ports were. Together the sailors headed through the familiar chaos, past other ships and other crews, warehouses and the cheapest port taverns, until they reached the gates to the main pass.

The main pass was a walled path that followed the tall Cliffs of Loth, all the way back to the castle. Motal had never been further than the lower city gate. When one of the guards at the gate held up his hand to stop them, Motal stepped forward to speak for the group. It was just a formality; every guard knew why Crelan sailors would be entering the city.

"We're on leave from the CN Tidal, merchant ship," Motal said. "One night in the lower city."

The guard nodded. He obviously felt the conversation was as unnecessary as Motal thought it was. "What do you plan to do in the city?"

One of the sailors behind Motal piped up. "Drink, gamble and fu—"

"Go ahead," the guard said, stepping aside and waving lazily.

They walked through the gates, and made directly for the gates that led to the lower city. The guards there let them in without questioning. The sailors joined the crowds of people in the lower city's main courtyard. Mostly they were Native Zians, but plenty of the visitors were other sailors—Crelans, Teltans, likely some Navirians or Deoruns, although Motal couldn't tell the difference between them. He and his friends forced their way through the crowds, ignoring the small market stalls and vendors that lined the street. They knew their destination.

It was a tavern so old its sign had long ago worn away and never been replaced. Motal and the others had never bothered to ask what the tavern's name was, they just knew that it was their favourite. It had good but cheap food, plenty of drinks, relatively nice rooms to rent, gambling tables, and beautiful barmaids. But Motal's favourite part was how close it was to his favourite brothel.

Compared to Teltans, Crelans may have been slightly more accepting of his preference for men. But the Natives didn't care at all. Motal could confidently walk into a Native brothel and ask for a man, and nobody gave him a second glance. That was the main reason he liked visiting Zianna, or any of the mainland cities.

The tavern was as busy as always. Motal and the others managed to get a table. They ordered drinks and food. They talked about their ship and complained about their captain. Some of the men flirted with the barmaids. Wolkar brought out a stained deck of cards and started a game of Stampede. They played as they ate, wiping their greasy fingers off on their pants or tunics before touching the already filthy cards. They drank while they flirted. Some of them flirted because they were drunk.