09. - QUEEN

𝙪𝙣𝙗𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙙

nine. god save the queen!

 — god save the queen!

MAY 26th, 1465: A little less than a year had passed since King Edward IV had shocked his country of England, taking a common Lancastrian girl, one who was older than him and a widow to boot, as his wife

MAY 26th, 1465: A little less than a year had passed since King Edward IV had shocked his country of England, taking a common Lancastrian girl, one who was older than him and a widow to boot, as his wife. Today, that girl — no, that woman — was about to be crowned queen, in a celebration the king was determined would be worthy of the Lord himself.

The soon-to-be queen's sister, Melissa Woodville, was expected to attend upon her, as all others were likely doing. But in a bout of contrariness that even their mother had to admit was so like her redheaded daughter, the girl had slipped out of her chambers early that morning and had not been seen by any who were asked about her. This suited Melissa perfectly, because she was well aware that if anyone knew where she was going, they would doubtless stop her.

No, Melissa.

What is the use in it, Melissa?

Pay them no mind, Melissa.

And to that, she said: Yes, Melissa. There is a whole world's use in it, Melissa. Pay as much attention toward it as you can, Melissa. For indeed, what was the point in being rich, or close to royalty, if the ones who mattered, the Londoners did not like you?

To that end, the Woodville girl had been venturing down into the city for a little over four months now, whenever time permitted. She enjoyed frequenting the merchants' square, buying little pieces here and there (of course, the sellers would always nearly wet themselves with joy when they realized she was the queen's sister), and dispensing with a few pennies to the forever eager little boys who were stuck shoveling feces and dung by Shitbrook (yes, it really was called that, for obvious reasons).

The children in the many underfunded orphanages were, however, Melissa's main reason for venturing down into the city. They had no one to take care of them, no one to depend upon, and thus, theirs was a mean and cruel life.