25. - OLD MONEY

𝙪𝙣𝙗𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙙

twenty-five. a royal visit!

 — a royal visit!

DIVIDE

DIVIDE. CROSS. TWIST.

Divide. Cross. Twist.

Cate's hair was soft, almost silken as her older sister braided it, loose and wispy, in the way she liked. In the way only Melissa could do.

Like a crown of gold, her tresses framed her heart-shaped face, accentuating her rosy cheeks and small, button nose. Her eyes stood out like two chips of ice, swiveling to and fro, the girl herself eager, fidgeting in her seat, unable to contain her excitement at seeing her reflection in the mirror.

"Are you done? Is it finished!?"

Melissa smirked at the younger girl's demand. "No, sister. 'Tis not done now, and 'twill not be done in the next five seconds. This is no shabby job."

Catherine pouted, her shoulders slumping. Moments later, however, she corrected her posture, feeling her sister's gimlet-eyed glare trained on her back.

"I simply wish to see what I look like!" She complained, twirling a ribbon around her finger in the meantime.

"And you shall," Melissa placated. "But you must allow me to do my work. Otherwise, your hair will not stay in place, and you shall look like nought but a silly girl in front of everyone."

"I am not a silly girl!"

"They do not know that." The duchess pointed out, swiftly turning her youngest sister's head around, Catherine having faced her with an outraged, pointed glare. "The last they saw you, you could barely strike needle to thread. That is no longer the case now, is it not?"

"I can sew!" The blonde exclaimed. "I can embroider flowers and leaves now! With vines, and even thorns!"

"Exactly," Melissa nodded. "You can also play the lute, and the harp. Your French lessons are progressing nicely, as well. You are well on your way to becoming an educated, well-accomplished lady. To emphasize that, you must look nice. They will focus on everything, Cate. You must be diligent."