THE UNDEAD

LET THE RECORDS SHOW, that Hecate Balfour, was not one to fall in love

LET THE RECORDS SHOW, that Hecate Balfour, was not one to fall in love. Moving to the supernatural town of Mystic Falls, Virgina, wasn't the catalyst of Hecate's life. She was a witch for starters — which meant that nothing was ordinary about her life. When she wasn't doing homework and attending cheer practice at Mystic High, she was in the basement of the Balfour's residence with her father, learning about the history of her ancestors.

   She never planned on noticing the happy-ray-of-sunshine on her cheer squad by the name of Elena Gilbert. Finding love was stupid—out of the ordinary in her not so ordinary life. She didn't even know if the Gilbert girl swung that way — but that detail never stopped the sick puppy glances Hecate sent her way.

Pathetic. Hecate knows.

   She already had a full plate, witchy voodoo lessons, her parents acting weirder and weirder by the day, her two sisters who can't stop talking about the next full moon. She can't just sit around and think about a girl who didn't even know she existed.

But Elena Gilbert has always had a knack for noticing the unordinary. And in Elena's books, Hecate was exactly that. She was the girl who always sat in the back of her classes, earbuds in, and a laptop full of Sabrina the teenage witch stickers. She was quiet, reserved, but Elena could tell that the girl had a lot going on in her head. She was a thinker, not much of a talker— and most often then not, Elena wondered what it was that always seemed to envelope the girls mind. She wanted to know— she needed to know.

   When Hecate realizes that the Elena Gilbert is trudging behind her, calling out her name... she thinks, how sweet does my name sound coming out of her mouth like that. It almost takes Hecate a second to turn around. Her legs feel weak, like jello, and she ruminates about wether or not she should charm the girl and run away as fast as she could to get out of conversing with Elena. The brunette invites Hecate to a night out with her friends— Carol? and the Bennett witch her father mentioned some weeks ago.