CH 1. LONG LIVE THE BALFOUR'S

   HECATE BALFOUR STARED at the gallery wall in her room

HECATE BALFOUR STARED at the gallery wall in her room. Her eyes shifted from the smiling girl with bouncy curls—the girl being Hecate—with round Harry Potter like glasses and her black furry cat nuzzled in her neck. Hecate can't help but smile at the fond memory of summer 2007, New Orleans, Louisiana. Her eyes shift towards a different girl. She was happy in the photo, cheeks red and high from a happy day of strolling about in Mystic Falls. She has the most wonderful shade of brown eyes, and equally radiant brown hair—the girl was Elena Gilbert; her ex-girlfriend. Her eyes shift towards a second photo, this time it's Elena kissing Hecate's cheek. They both look aimlessly in love, and happy. Hecate can feel her heart shrink to her stomach as it always does when the Elena's thoughts made there way into her mind.

"Staring at Elena's picture again? It must be eight o'clock."

The voice belongs to her youngest sister, Ricka, who seem's to think it's funny to comment on everything Hecate does with her time.

Hecate rolls her eyes, allowing herself to avert her eyes from Elena's picture and jumps onto her bed. Her book, The Witch Project, which she had been reading before taking a walk past memory lane, had been forgotten and thrown somewhere against her night stand, which didn't suit the already messy room one bit.

   "Don't you have hobbies? Don't tell me annoying me is your favorite pastime." Hecate laughed at her statement, knowing how true it was.

"As opposed to you relentlessly thinking about Elena."

"Ouch. Not nice, Rika." The eldest of the Balfour sisters, Gemma, scoffed as she entered Hecate's room. She glared at the young girl, who averted her gaze like a child who had just been caught stealing candy.

"Sorry....?" Ricka apologized. "But just to be clear, my hobbies do include annoying you, as well as curses and researching the dark side."