Chapter 22: Breathe

Cold...

Taylor blinked open heavy eyelids as his mind began to awaken. He felt a faint kiss press against his forehead at the same time warm arms tugged him closer. 

This isn't my room. 

He was a little surprised, at first, but when his memories of the previous day began to return, he gave a tired sigh of relief and looked up into Cadon's watching eye. 

"Good morning," he rasped, then shivered. 

He probably should have taken the ring off since the danger had passed, but after what had almost happened, he couldn't find it in himself to do it. 

I do not want to return to it yet, came Nikolai's voice inside his mind. It was quiet, almost seeming as tired as he, himself. 

Taylor felt lips press against his own and blinked out of his thought communication with Nikolai. He would have returned the kiss, and he technically did, but as soon as he stopped paying attention to Nikolai, the darn banshee took his body! 

He felt his right hand reach forward and entwine itself in Cadon's hair, pressing their mouths painfully closer together. Even Cadon seemed a bit shocked by the abrupt force as his eyes jerked open after having closed. 

Taylor felt Nikolai move his body overtop Cadon's, then sit on the man's lower abdomen once he rolled onto his back. 

"Niko?" Cadon asked as he tilted his head on the pillow slightly. 

He seemed to pause at hearing his name, then tilted his lips up into a curious, yet awkward grin. 

"You are truly alive now," he finally said as he pressed his palm to the side of Cadon's face. 

Taylor could feel the excitement and relief coursing through his system from Nikolai. He couldn't imagine how much his brother had worried since they'd been murdered. He might not have been able to verbally say anything, but just the fact that he'd guarded his brother's corpse for so many years, diligently watching and protecting... no words were needed. 

"I'm alive, Niko," Cadon said as he sat up, then leaned forward. 

To Taylor's surprise, Nikolai leaned backward, preventing the kiss that Cadon had tried to press to his lips. 

Weren't you kissing him a minute ago with me? 

Brother... Didn't know before. 

Taylor felt Nikolai's control slip and quickly took it back in confusion. 

"Your step brother?" Taylor asked, though already knew the answer to his question. 

A light chuckle from Cadon drew their focus to him again. 

"I think that kiss he pursued was more because of Adon than Caleb." 

Oh, that makes sense. 

"Wait a minute. Nikolai likes Adon?" Taylor asked in disbelief. "I thought he just possessed him."

Cadon grinned and leaned forward again, and immediately, Nikolai took control and leaned back. 

Okay, this is kind of cute. 

Nikolai grumbled from between his lips and gave Taylor his body back, but was still clearly uncomfortable with the idea of kissing his step brother. 

"Niko, I want to do things with Taylor," Cadon said, Caleb's cheekiness shining through. 

Taylor blinked, his face warming at the other man's words.