SIX

❝You are all a lost generation

❝You are all a lost generation.❞

— Gertrude Stein

I wake up with the sound of Jude's alarm going off

She groans and turns to her bedside table, snoozing once again. I sigh, covering my eyes with my blanket in frustration. I've been awake for quite a while since Jude's alarm has been going off since five in the morning and she's been snoozing it over and over again. At first, I'd tried to ignore her and turned the other way, but when it went off for the third time, I swear I wanted to hit her in the face.

I get up from my bed and walk to my wardrobe, taking out my school uniform. Grabbing my stuff, I walk out of the room, towards the common bathroom. I brush my teeth, my eyelids heavy because I'm still sleepy even though I can't sleep at all. I then take a shower, the cold water hitting my skin and making me shiver. By the time I'm out, there are other girls around, giggling and talking and yawning.

I make my way back to the room. Opening the door, the first thing I see is Jude, who's now sitting on her bed, half asleep. She's wearing the same thing she was last night and her hair is a total mess. She sees me, smiles sheepishly, and mutters a 'Good morning' to me.

"Next time, if you put up an alarm for five am, I'll kill you."

She doesn't say anything to that. "You're ready already? What time is it-" she groans, leaving forward to grab her phone as I make my way to my side of the room and sit down. "Oh," she says when she sees that it's already six thirty. School starts at seven forty five. "I'll go get ready, then. You're gonna wait for me to go to breakfast?"

I nod reluctantly.

She smiles, getting up and within the next five minutes, she's out of the room.

I take this time to go over the events of yesterday. I had a fight with mom about coming here, I went through a boring orientation where I almost fell asleep three times, I met the most annoying and clingy person and got her as my roommate. Then, maybe by luck, I met Asher Hale at lunch, who said that I'd paid someone to get into this school. That evening, I followed Lily and Asher, almost got caught, got saved by some guy whose name I don't even know.