Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 1

No matter how many times I've seen my face and body all bruised and scraped up, I've never gotten used to it. Even though it's been just over a week since Aiden and I were in the car accident, I feel like the bruise on my cheek is taking way too long to go away; like it's stubbornly remaining just to mock me, to remind me of what I've been through. My nose has healed from the accidental elbow to the face Mason dealt me at the beach house, but the rest of my bruises are taking their sweet time. Aiden's injuries were worse than mine—I didn't need stitches, at least—but every glance in the mirror reminds me of Harvey, of Andrew, and of how they're still out there, getting away with their crimes, with their attempt to kill us.

A few days after school started, while I was stubbornly refusing to attend until my friends could join me, Makayla Thomas, Kaitlyn's best friend, saw me at the grocery store, still banged up and bruised from the accident. She told everyone that my face is fucked up from botched plastic surgery, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes when Charlotte told me about that rumor going around the school. This means everyone's going to try to get a look at me when I return today with Aiden, but that's nothing in comparison to what he's going to face when he steps in the building.

He doesn't normally open up—it was a miracle when I got him to tell me even the most insignificant detail about himself, and he liked me. Having a bunch of stupid teenagers knowing your business and openly staring at you and stage-whispering as you walk by isn't something he'll especially enjoy. I haven't seen him since the accident because he and Mason just got back last night, but I wouldn't have blamed him if he'd decided to skip the next few days. But he's not; he's going to meet me at school, and while I missed him and am so excited to finally see him properly after a week apart, I'm also dreading it, because it'll start the countdown to when I leave. Technically, the countdown started last week when school started, but I can't bring myself to think about that, about how I wasted a week of my life here in King City before I'm relocated without Aiden, without my friend group. I don't know how much time I have left before I'm forced to leave and become someone new, but I know I don't want to throw away another single second. I'm going to make the most of it, even if it means going back to school and facing the gossip mongers who have nothing better to do than gawk and stare at us.

As I walk into the school for the first time since the break, I already feel the stares on me. I fidget with the necklace that Aiden got me for Christmas, feeling calmed by its weight. The necklace with a secret button to release a hidden blade has been around my neck since we left the beach house. Obviously, I know I shouldn't be wearing it to school, but I can't bear to take it off now. Besides the fact that Aiden got it for me and that its presence is comforting, I didn't wear it the night Aiden and I went to meet with Vivienne Henfrey, and we were run off the road and almost killed. I could've really used it then against Harvey, so I'd much rather have it on me now, just in case. Besides, it doesn't look like a switchblade, so I'm sure I won't get in any trouble since no one will know. Either way, I keep it tucked under the collar of my shirt when I'm not fidgeting with it.

I meet Annalisa in the front hall, and she holds her head high as we walk, a scowl on her face as she stares down the people who gawk at us without shame until they bow their heads in submission. If I wasn't her friend, I'd be terrified of her. We round the corner to get to my locker and I stop short. Leaning on my locker with his arms crossed, looking perfectly at home but still managing to appear menacing, is Aiden. Talking on the phone and FaceTiming this last week hasn't done him justice; it's nothing in comparison to him in person. A sense of peace washes over me at seeing him standing there, waiting for me, looking at me with hunger and impatience. Everything fades away as I walk over to him. Aiden pushes himself off of my locker and studies me as we approach him.

"How's your face?" is the first thing he says to me once we're close enough.

Wow. He's so romantic. The corner of my lip turns up. "Not as bad as yours."