167

A/N: Boo! A rewrite! If you saw the original chapter, no you didn't <3

One. More. Mission.

Just a few seconds after being sucked into the quantum realm with the rest of the team, y/n found herself stood inside of the Hydra facility that she knew far too well. Alone.

Despite the abnormally high ceilings, the cold concrete walls suffocated every single room. Every door was made of a thick metal, and they all required passwords and fingerprints - almost as if every room was one giant bank vault. However, the thick walls and doors didn't stop the horrific sounds of torture bleed through the building. They prided themselves on cleanliness and etiquette, but the walls and floors were never a solid colour. Mismatches of what they hoped to be the same paint were splattered across the walls and floors in a desperate attempt to cover up all of their 'messes'. All of the remnants of explosions. All of the desperate scratches at the wall, enough to rip a person's fingernails out. All of the blood stains. The many, many blood stains.

The facility had an upper floor, but that floor was never used. It was all for show. A fake factory to hide the absolute hell happening underground if any inspectors decided to turn up. The man in the suit liked to tell the inspectors that y/n was his daughter. It didn't mater what the weather was, he'd dress her up in the same yellow puffy dress, frilly socks, black shoes, and ribbons in her hair. A pretty smile was forced upon her face to hide the tears in her eyes, layers of makeup covered every single bruise, and something sticky was put in between her teeth to stop her from opening her mouth and speaking. It was all an act. An act that as a child, y/n was completely oblivious to. She thought that it was a game, that she had to be silent in the factory because people were busy working, that covering up bruises was a normal thing.

Y/n was stood inside of one of the many empty cells. The sickly yellow hue of the hallway lights crept into the dark room, acting as her only source of light. The heavy door had been left ajar only a few feet away from her, yet it seemed as if it were miles away.

Y/n's mind had been sent into a spin. Her brain was trying to comprehend the fact that she was back in the Hydra facility, but it didn't seem possible. She felt like she was in one of her nightmares again. It was a trippy, confusing, terrifying feeling. Her own brain was fighting with the decision of if she was in a nightmare or not. Y/n knew that she wasn't, but her body hadn't seemed to catch up on that yet. It was reacting with very fight-or-flight response possible. Shortness of breath, increased heart rate, racing thoughts, and her whole body feeling as if it had just been charged with enough energy to power a city.

Being back in the facility wasn't right in her mind. She had strived so hard to get away from it all, and now she was right back where she started - except this time it was voluntary. She chose to take the mission. To go back to the place of her nightmares. She didn't have to. Someone else could've gone. Hell, someone could've joined her on the mission. But no, she was stupid and had been thinking with what she liked to call her 'Captain America' brain. She didn't want to put anyone else through what she went through. She didn't want them to see her as a child, or be exposed to the man in the suit. It wasn't fair. (It wasn't fair on y/n either, but at least she knew the layout of the facility like the back of her hand).

One foot in front of the other. That was all that she had to focus on. Keeping her head down was the safest bet. Not because she'd be recognised - they wouldn't know what she'd look like as an adult - but because y/n didn't want to see anything that could possibly trigger her. There were certain faces and rooms that she remembered. But of course the 'star of the show' had always been the man in the suit. She wanted to avoid him at all costs. Hell, she didn't even want to hear his voice from down the hall. It was too much. Seeing him in the flesh again after so long was going to be scarier than anything y/n had ever experienced.

A loud crash was suddenly heard down the hallway, causing y/n to almost jump out of her skin. One of the many 'patients' that they had given powers to for y/n to mimic was rebelling. He had broken out of his cell, and by the sound of the yelling, it didn't seem pleasant.

Y/n had her back pressed up against the cold concrete wall beside the cell door, trying her hardest to regulate her breathing as she listened to all of the commotion. First came the thundering of hundreds of heavy footsteps, racing past the cell that y/n was in and toward the screaming man. It gave y/n enough time to catch a glimpse of one of the guards, allowing her to shapeshift into him with ease by mimicking Loki's powers.

The uniform was thick and heavy. Bulletproof vest, riot helmet, an array of weapons, everything that one could need to fight off an aggressive person. Yet nobody ever seemed prepared to be beaten up by a young child. That was why y/n was 'perfect', according to the man in the suit.

However, before y/n could even take a step in her new body, the sound of several guns preparing to shoot echoed down the hallway. In a matter of seconds, the gunshots started. One, two, three, six, eleven, y/n couldn't keep up. It was a mass spray of bullets at a single poor man. The yelling had definitely stopped, but so had his life. Now his blood was simply splattered across the nearby floors and walls, just like everyone else.

As much as y/n wanted to flinch and take cover, she knew that she had to keep moving. It was the perfect distraction, and the man in the suit was far too sophisticated to be wanting to get his hands dirty in a mess like that. So, she stepped out of the cell, a confident look on her face as she copied the way the other guards were walking. She had no idea where the Tesseract was, but she had a pretty general idea. They were probably trying to figure out a use for it in the labs. She could take it from the scientists easily. All she had to do was mention that it was the man in the suit's orders, and she'd be perfectly fine.

Easy mission. She just had to keep breathing. Keep breathing and-

"Come on, princess!"

Oh.