Djinn

Geralt

After the engagement party for the Queen's daughter, Pavetta, I hadn't seen Sage for years. I didn't even come across the bard or hear a scream. The weird yet normal thing was that Sage's premonition that night had mentioned boats sinking and it's what happened to Pavetta and Duny's ship; they were dead. They even had a child, which Mousesack called my surprise, that Calanthe now took care of. Since then, I hadn't been able to sleep properly and for the past three days, I hadn't slept at all.

Roach neighed for me as I moved away from her, walking around the lake with a fishing net in my hand. I tossed it in the lake, swaying it around so I could catch something; hopefully, a djinn so I could make a wish to sleep. And maybe, with my remaining two, I could wish that I'd see her again.

"What are you looking for?" the annoying yet memorable voice asked. I turned to see the bard, leaning on the tree. I looked around to find the banshee he traveled with but she wasn't there.

"Where's Sage?" I asked.

"What about me?" he questioned, offended. "She's in the town. She sent me to come to find you."

"She knows that I'm here?"

"We've been following for the past year. After the party, she decided to split paths until she felt that you were nearby," he explained. "Law of Surprise and such."

"She knows."

"She knows a lot of things," he replied. "And she told me that you're looking for djinn."

"I am." I tossed the net back in and I felt something in my catch and drew it in. There was a clay jar that I rushed to grab. I took off the seaweed and looked at the symbol of a djinn.

"She doesn't want you to have it," Jaskier said, getting a hold of it. "Instead of facing your problems, you're running from them, which is the cause of your insomnia."

I pulled on it, so he'd let go but his grip was strong. When he tugged back, his grip softened and the jar slipped from his hands, dropping and shattering.

"Are you kidding me?" I muttered, reaching to pick it up and I accidentally cut myself with the sharp edges. Thunder crackled in the clear sky and I gazed at the distance to see the black spirit flying around, picking up wind.

"I wish for a better voice," Jaskier called. "A new set of instruments that I can play, women—"

"You only get three wishes!" I shouted. Just then, the djinn came quickly and struck Jaskier in the throat, ironically affecting his first wish. The djinn disappeared and the weather cleared but Jaskier collapsed, choking from the attack.

"H-help!" he wheezed. "H-help!" I only took his word since he was friends with Sage and I put him in front of me on the saddle. Whipping Roach's reigns, she galloped through the trees and out of them and onto the dry road. I saw small buildings in the distance and hurried there.

Red hair.

I saw Sage, standing there as if she was waiting for us. Once she saw Jaskier's condition, she grew frantic, helping him off the mare. I had to carry him in a medical tent so he could be tended by an elf.

"I told him to tell you that you shouldn't have it," she stated. She then told the elf that Jaskier had been attacked by a djinn.

"But I wanted it," I said. "You weren't there to stop me. Instead, you sent your bard. So this is on you."

She glared at me before returning to her friend. "How is he?"

"If it's not treated right away then his vocal cords will be damaged forever," the elf said, making Jaskier yelp. "I can give him an elixir to keep it at bay for the moment until you find a mage. Only magic can fix magic."