Day 8.

September 14. 3 days until the competition.

Locked up once again, the Were-rabbit paced the cage as Gromit sat in front of the Mind-o-Matic. It was nearly complete. Just a few more parts. But an incomplete machine would do them no good. Gromit sighed and decided to go to bed. There was nothing he could do. He'd never felt more useless and lost.

He made himself a cup of tea before heading to bed, but was frozen as the phone began to ring. He picked up the phone. "I have the rabbit. Come and get it." It was Victor. Gromit took a shaky breath as he hung up the phone. He headed towards the back door, opening it quietly, and shutting it behind him.

He ran the 25 minute walk to Tottington Hall, praying Totty was up this late, and banging on the door. "Gromit!" She answered the door. "Did Victor return the beast?" Gromit crinkled his nose, shaking his head. "No? That liar told me he would! He probably took it back to his home and is doing who-knows-what to the poor creature!" She put her hands to her mouth. "You have to go and save it. She pointed to the road leading into the forest. "Down there. You'll see it." Gromit nodded thank you, and headed in the direction.

Eventually finding a small house, he banged on the front door. He was met by Victor, holding a gun, and his dog. "Please, do come in," he grinned somewhat menacingly as Gromit took careful steps into the house, his eyes tracing the room, following the fireplace, the mounted animal heads, and landing on... Hutch! Caged in the corner! "You can take him with you... but if I see you or your master at Tottington Hall or with Campanula one more time, I'll kill you, understand?" Gromit nodded nervously, his eyes fixed on the gun in the hunters hand. "Now get." He opened the cage, grabbing Hutch by the scruff of his back, and threw him out of the front door, and slamming it behind them.

Gromit helped Hutch to his feet. "Thanks, chuck," he said in a high-pitched Wallace voice, but the rabbit was unable to stand. His legs buckled as he collapsed. Gromit grabbed the rabbit, and threw him over his shoulder, carrying him home.

***

Morning finally arrived. Gromit headed down into the basement to release Wallace. Earlier he'd put Hutch to sleep in Wallace's bed- he wasn't using it at the moment. He had no idea what Victor did to the poor guy- he was injured somehow- Gromit assumed blunt-force trauma. But at least both he and Totty thought Hutch was the beast instead of Wallace. If any of them found out who the real beast was, they'd be in hot water.

Once getting down into the basement, Gromit paused before opening the door to the cages. The transformation must be in its final stages... they had to do something...

"Good morning, Gromit," Wallace stretched. He looked like a full rabbit at this point.. all of the bunny features had remained, except he was Wallace sized. "We have to get this machine up and running by tonight, because we're running out of time fast."

***

Lady Tottington answered the door to Victor. "Victor!" She gave a fake smile. He was not as enthused, and got straight to the point. "That rabbit that I found last night, is not the Were-Rabbit," he forced his way inside. Lady Tottington was confused and taken back by his sudden forced entry. "What.. what do you mean, Victor?" He scoffed, do you really think that tiny creature could be a giant monster?" He shook his head. "I found it out and about, driving the Anti-Pesto van, I want you to go over there and find the real one." He pulled his gun out. "Wallace trusts you. He'll let you in, and just look around for it." He said. "To Wallace's house? Oh, I don't think," she began, "If you ever want to see Wallace again, you will." He interrupted. She backed away from him. "Victor, you can't do that!" She exclaimed. "Oh yes, I can. And I'll tell everyone you did it." He leaned on his gun and smiled evilly. "Now, if you do what I ask, you'll both be fine." She took a deep breath, trying to take this in. "When you return, come back and tell me what you find if you ever want to see him again."

***

"Did you find Hutch?" Wallace asked as he followed Gromit up the stairs. He nodded slowly, "Great! Can he fix the Mind-o-Matic now?" Wallace gave a buck-toothed smile. Gromit's shoulders sank, and he shook his head no. Wallace's smile faded into a frown. "What... what's wrong?" He followed Gromit upstairs to his room. "Did Victor hurt him? Is that where you found him?" Wallace stood over the rabbit, who was sleeping soundly. Gromit nodded, leading them both back out and closing the door. "Gromit, you know I can't fix the Mind-o-matic, I can't think straight!" They both went back down to the basement. Before Wallace could even think about trying to start work, they both were startled as the doorbell rang.

"Oh, heck, Gromit! I can't answer the door, not like this!" He put his paws to his mouth. They both ran up the stairs, Wallace hiding behind Gromit as he opened the door. It was Lady Tottington.

"Gromit? Is Wallace here?" She asked, trying to peer around the door. "I am!" Wallace called from around the corner. "Im just.. sick.." he bit his tongue with the lie. "I need to talk to you, Wallace," she insisted. "I really can't, I'm feeling very ill," he insisted. "Wallace, it's important! Please, I need to see you." She began to push the door open as Gromit struggled to hold it shut. "No, please, don't come in!" He became desperate, "Wallace, I don't-" she stopped as Gromit fell backwards, the door completely opening, revealing the large bipedal fluffy rabbit wearing Wallace's clothes.

They all froze.

"Totty, let me explain," Wallace began as she stood motionless, Gromit's eyes darting between the two. "Oh, Wallace," she gasped, putting a hand to her mouth, "I know it looks bad, but-" he was cut off by her. "Whatever have you done to yourself?" She took a step back, "I know, it's actually bad, but if you'd just let me expl-" cut off again, "You- you need to stay here," she took a step inside, slowly closing the door behind her. "How did this even happen?" She asked, approaching him. "It was all an accident," he figured he couldn't hold back the lies anymore. "I was trying to brainwash myself to lose weight but a rabbit got stuck in it and-" he buried his face in his paws. "Oh, I'm done for-" he sniffed. "Wallace, it's okay," she put a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Don't let Victor see you like this-" she said, looking at the floor, then back to him. "That little rabbit he brought me.... That's not the real Were-rabbit, is it?" Wallace shook his head. "It's me, it's all me, it's my fault, it was an accident, I-" he stopped, taking a deep breath, seeming on the verge of tears. "Relax, just breathe, Wallace." he let out a tired chuckle. "It's a lot harder than it sounds." He backed away from her. "I think you should get out of here, before I-" he paused, "hurt you. And I don't want to do that." He gave a buck-toothed smile. "Just promise you won't let Victor get to you. He'll kill you, Wallace. You'll be a prize on his mantle." She said worryingly. "I know. I won't. I'm fixing my machine tonight and it'll all be fine," he reassured. "Just- promise me you won't tell anybody." He pleaded. She gave him a small kiss on his cheek, causing his face to light up with blush and his ears dropped. "I promise."